Search the forum,

Discuss Unbelievable con..... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

kingeri

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Went to my grandma's neighbours house to do a bit of plastering yesterday and happened to check over her CU (can't help myself). Noticed a large customisable box between the meter and the CU. Label on box said 'Glover anti-arc device'. I thought to myself '?????'. So I opened it up and had a look inside. Turns out there is just a Henley block inside joining the tails. I asked the lady if she knows anything about it and she said after they had a near-miss electrical fire an 'electrician' advised her to have this 'state-of-the-art' device fitted at a cost of £500. He told her they are big in America but aren't widely used over here yet, but they can detect arcing and will cut off the supply and NOTIFY THE ELECTRICITY COMPANY by satellite. I was gobsmacked. Henley blocks have come a long way lately!

Customer A kicks up a storm because you fitted 2 RCDs
Customer B has £500 worth of Henley blocks

Where is Dom Littlewood and his off-screen cricket bat?

Maybe you should ask him to come round yours as you have a similar problem, then see what he says when you tell him he is taking you for a *****

Last edited by a moderator:
Company name, spread the word. Cowboys like this should be shot in the knees, repeatedly.

UNG’s comment.

If you installed an empty box it would be interesting to see what savings where claimed as there is obviously some placebo effect with these units

The above was posted by ung in the voltage optimiser thread
He couldn't have made a better comment if he had use of a crystal ball
I joked that the technology had been sussed out

Reading this thread and the comment he made,it would be inconcievable that something much the same was actually being done in the real world to vulnerable people
There are some very sad people in our country to do this sort of thing

I've asked for any details she has about the installer....she actually has an EIC. Company name given actually matches an existing company elsewhere in the country (I searched Company House website) but I don't want to announce it yet....it might not actually have been them. After all, who would do work like this and put their true details to it. Work was done in Oct 2009......no Building Control cert. Lady is understandably upset, I felt a bit like I was grilling her, but at the end of the day this clown needs stopping.

It does make my blood boil though, I can't imagine how I would feel if it was my gran, this sort of thing really gets my back up! Name and shame that's the only way to stop these kind of rip off merchants, yet I know this sort of thing happens in all types of trades

The standard of the rest of the work he did is actually good.....this guy knew what he was doing. As for naming and shaming.....how would you feel if your company name had been used by someone like this and then someone announced to the world your details. The company is not based anywhere near Yorkshire....so that's why I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Last edited:
If I went to somebody's house lied to them and effectively stole that persons money I would fully deserve being outed . But I see what your saying it might not have been the person doing the rest of the install that done the magic box! Do you think someone has been doing work under a false name then?

Maybe you should ask him to come round yours as you have a similar problem, then see what he says when you tell him he is taking you for a c**t
no....what you do is get him to come round...play all inocent like.....stash any tools and electrical stuff out of sight so when he comes round he wont suspect anything.....he`s bound to offer you one of his £500 henleys.....then you just report it to trading standards....got him...this cant be allowed to go on.....we all get a bad name for it....it just aint on...

The trouble with conmen like this is that when they get found out, they simply change their company name. You see it all the time on these cowboy programs... 13 companies in the last year and banned from trading, but still they carry on....
All it takes is an "official" seal on any box stating that warranty will be invalid and it's unlikely anyone would take the cover off to look, even if it was completely empty.

I don't know if the work was done under a false name. He did a lot of work, virtually a full rewire, not just installing this box. I just can't see him using his own company name. All I'm saying is I need more info before spouting my mouth off!

The trouble with conmen like this is that when they get found out, they simply change their company name. You see it all the time on these cowboy programs... 13 companies in the last year and banned from trading, but still they carry on....
All it takes is an "official" seal on any box stating that warranty will be invalid and it's unlikely anyone would take the cover off to look, even if it was completely empty.
yep.....windows n doors springs to mind here....

I don't know if the work was done under a false name. He did a lot of work, virtually a full rewire, not just installing this box. I just can't see him using his own company name. All I'm saying is I need more info before spouting my mouth off!
have you carried out any tests here....and cross referenced it with his schedule of tests?.....IR?....Zs?....

Reply to Unbelievable con..... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net