Discuss USB Voltage out of fused box in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

MikeDIY

DIY
Reaction score
I'm looking to run an led light directly from mains power.

I currently have a socket with phone charger plugged in to power it. But it looks ugly and sticks out.

I'd like to chop the plug off and wire it directly into a fused box. Any advice on what I'd need for this? 12v fused socket? Or do I need a transformer? Didn't know if there is such thing as a transformer socket? Or something.

Thanks

If you chop off a USB plug chances are you will find the wire is very thin and difficult to terminate, they are rarely made for any sort of maintenance.

What is the light for? Any special reason you are not using more conventional mains powered lighting?

You will need a 5V power supply unit, of which you can get inline types with a flex going in (that could be wired directly into a fused connection unit) instead of a plug. However even the smallest is likely to be the size of a cigarette packet and not possible to hide in the back of the box. A similar method that avoids having to chop off the USB plug would be a 230V powered USB hub such as:
Anker PowerPort 5
where you could wire its 230V input cable into the fused connection unit, but it's still a lump that needs hiding.

The wall socket with USB ports built-in is the most compact solution, but you would have to put up with the plug in the front. I can't immediately see one online but there are USB adaptors and extension cables with flat / right-angle plugs that would not jut out of the wall as far as a normal straight one.

You will need a 5V power supply unit, of which you can get inline types with a flex going in (that could be wired directly into a fused connection unit) instead of a plug. However even the smallest is likely to be the size of a cigarette packet and not possible to hide in the back of the box. A similar method that avoids having to chop off the USB plug would be a 230V powered USB hub such as:
Anker PowerPort 5
where you could wire its 230V input cable into the fused connection unit, but it's still a lump that needs hiding.

The wall socket with USB ports built-in is the most compact solution, but you would have to put up with the plug in the front. I can't immediately see one online but there are USB adaptors and extension cables with flat / right-angle plugs that would not jut out of the wall as far as a normal straight one.

Thank you very much for your help! ???

Reply to USB Voltage out of fused box in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net