Discuss What Happened To My Aquarium Water Pump? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Boris_yo

Hello people. This is second time my water pump fails. I bought it with aquarium half year ago. I tried hitting it like i did first time which made it function, but this time it did not help. However! It works but does ot function. I hear working sound, feel vibration but it does not pull water in.

Here are its pictures:

http://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/azHlg.jpg

http://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/ZnsS8.jpg

What can be done? It says to not operate without water. If i am going to disassemble it, how am i going to still operate it without water?

Thanks.

It sounds as though you little impeller inside the unit is either broken or seized, most likely broken as if it was seized it would burn out the motor or trip the breaker or there is a filter on it blocked

Strip it down if you can and see if there is a filter anywhere that is blocked, if it's a filter I'm sure these can be bought. If it's the impeller I would imagine that may be harder to get.

As it says don't try and run it out of the water, the water will keep it cool, but you can strip it down and see if there is anything obvious.

you can run it without water for a short period, just to test it's working. as malcolm says, it's either blocked or the impeller ain't turning. could just be loose on the shaft.

These fish tank and pond pumps are easy to disassemble. The stator is totally enclosed in resin block, the impeller shaft just pull out. You will probably find the impeller, and the shaft hollow through the stator resin block is encrusted with crap from the tank and will just need cleaning out. The bearings are normally just rubber caps that fit into the base and impeller cap.

Just take the thing apart, noting how everything comes apart, give a good clean and reassemble. The filter in any will be a washable plastic gauze sponge type of thing, that needs washing and rinsing out on a regular basis. Probably the reason why your having problems now ...lol

Reply to What Happened To My Aquarium Water Pump? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net