Discuss What is the difference between Domestic Installer and Approved Contractor in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

rwhite2012

Hi can someone tell me what the difference between a domestic installer and an approved contractor please?

I have a feeling an approved contractoris someone with nvq level 3 and 2391 test and inspect but im not sure and cant find this info out anywhere.

Thank you.

Domestic installer is deemed competent to work on Houses.

An approved contractor is deemed competent to work in all fields.

However that said there is absolutely no reason why a part-p or domestic installer sparks cannot work in commercial or industrial so long as he is competent.

To work in houses and to be able to notify your work you NEED a minimum of DI/part-p status.

To work in other fields you simply need to be competent no requirement for any scheme membership.

If that sounds confusing well that's because the whole lot is a big mess and the whole industry is confused by it.

Yep as above, very confusing.

To work in someones house = 5 week course and a regs course

To work in a building that could protentially injure 1000's of members of the public, or in industrial with high volts and amps available = nothing!

Generally tho the AC status is the NICEIC was of saying your as competent as can be in their eyes.

yes in relation to NICEIC membership topquark, iv done 3 years at college already, i know i need to have part p and 17th edition to be domestic installer but i just want to know what i would need to be registered as an approved contractor with the niceic, thanks for replies people

yes in relation to NICEIC membership topquark, iv done 3 years at college already, i know i need to have part p and 17th edition to be domestic installer but i just want to know what i would need to be registered as an approved contractor with the niceic, thanks for replies people

No you don't need to have part P, it's just part of a building regulation. Just another con basically, to part you from yet more money... Once you have your full C&G 2330, it's only the 17th you will need, though the NVQ 3 would be more than advantageous to you.... But for that you need to be employed in the industry.

Back in the day AC was seen as the pinnacle of achievement for an electrical company. You needed a minimum of 12 months trading under your belt in all fields ...ind/comm etc, many completed test certs, a full suite of qualifications, books, insurances etc etc.

Nowadays it dont mean squat, anyone can get AC without too much bother at all.

Back in the day AC was seen as the pinnacle of achievement for an electrical company. You needed a minimum of 12 months trading under your belt in all fields ...ind/comm etc, many completed test certs, a full suite of qualifications, books, insurances etc etc.

The mistake NIC made is not creating a seperate company for their DI scheme (much like ECA did)

As they choose not to the AC has been diluted to almost nothing.

It pains me to say it but I fear you're right Lenny. It's getting towards 20 years since we gained AC standard and it had to be earned rather than just bought. Still think it's worth a hell of a lot more than being a DI though, some of whom seem to have very little experience.

Jib website has the grading definitions on, a google search will reveal all. Or look through my previous posts i put a link on for someone who was asking about cscs/jib cards i think.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

However that said there is absolutely no reason why a part-p or domestic installer sparks cannot work in commercial or industrial so long as he is competent.

To work in houses and to be able to notify your work you NEED a minimum of DI/part-p status.

To work in other fields you simply need to be competent no requirement for any scheme membership.

If that sounds confusing well that's because the whole lot is a big mess and the whole industry is confused by it.
really?...you dont NEED to be part p registered....you can inform the LABC of intended works.....who will then send out a buildings inspector to look at the work being carried out at various stages....

really?...you dont NEED to be part p registered....you can inform the LABC of intended works.....who will then send out a buildings inspector to look at the work being carried out at various stages....

Yes, .... But at an extortionate cost!! lol!!!

You'll be lucky if you get a completion visit, from what i can gather!!

I was just browsing for relevant posts for my project and I happened to stumble upon yours. Thanks for the useful information!

I was just browsing for relevant posts for my project and I happened to stumble
upon yours. Thanks for the useful information!

dave

Reply to What is the difference between Domestic Installer and Approved Contractor in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock