Discuss Where is this? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

westward10

Staff member
Admin
Esteemed
Supporter
Reaction score
Been sorting through some pics and came across this. I have a thing for piers and would have been working in the area but cannot place where this is, I thought Worthing, Brighton and Eastbourne but fairly certain it isn't them. It has an odd tone because it was shot on Lomo retro slide film, yes film.
Any ideas.
20240112_124911.jpg

Wasn't taken on a Lomo is was just Lomo film.
Not many folks make film any more, or process it!

If you have any undeveloped Kodachrome film then it is game over, unless you are OK with B&W processing from the likes of Film Rescue International (yes, very Thunderbirds!).

You'd be surprised the amount of film now available, it has become trendy again. Quality film cameras are sought after, this is the one I took this with and is now worth at least double what I paid for it new.
20240112_155321.jpg

Not many folks make film any more, or process it!

If you have any undeveloped Kodachrome film then it is game over, unless you are OK with B&W processing from the likes of Film Rescue International (yes, very Thunderbirds!).

Related-ish. I've somehow become custodian of all of my late grandmother's cine8 archives from the 70's - she was mad for it. I've even got her original projector too, not that it's working as all the belts are long ago perished and stretched. At some point back in time someone in the family has had a fraction of it converted to VHS and the 15 mins of that is quite fascinating viewing, proper family archive stuff so I'd like to view all of it. Given that most of my paternal family skipped to the States in the 80's, it makes most sense to digitise it so that I can edit and upload to a private YouTube to share it around. Anyone have any recommendations or advice to get the right hardware to do this? I'm guessing that there must be something available that's basically a reverse projector but wouldn't know what to go searching for.

Anyone have any recommendations or advice to get the right hardware to do this? I'm guessing that there must be something available that's basically a reverse projector but wouldn't know what to go searching for.
I have never had to covert film to video, but I do remember seeing some places advertise it as a service. Can't remember costs as had no need to use it.

I have converted VHS/Betamax tapes to DVD/files for a few things my parents had before the tape hardware was totally gone, but have long since lost or given away the hardware. I got a "sync stabiliser" to make it easier for a video card to accept tape video (not for the anti-piracy sync wobbles added on commercial stuff) but can't remember if I used a PC card with video capture or one of the DVD recorder boxes, as I think I had both of those kicking around.

As for film cameras...I have a pristine Canon A1 and an AE1...I moved to a digital many years ago, a Canon Rebel (as it was known in the States) but here a 350D. before that, my first digital camera was a Kodak, with a zoom lens and, I think, 1.4 megapixels! It took great photos, and used CompactFlash (same as the Rebel). In those days an 8MB card cost £64!
The A1 and AE1 are offered free of charge to any forum member who would like them, subject to paying the postage and making a small donation to the Men's Shed charity. They come with a selection of lenses, and I can provide full details to anyone genuinely interested.
Currently, although my phone takes excellent pictures, my tiny Canon Ixus 70 goes with me everywhere! It fits in a shirt pocket, has a viewfinder (!) as well as a screen, and pic quality is just amazing for it's time.
The 350D is still my favourite, and I see that such cameras are trending now with "influencers"...I used it professionally for many years, and its simplicity and quality are amazing. Indeed, as it's such a beautiful afternoon here, i think I will dig it out and go for a walk to try and capture some nice images!

Related-ish. I've somehow become custodian of all of my late grandmother's cine8 archives from the 70's - she was mad for it. I've even got her original projector too, not that it's working as all the belts are long ago perished and stretched. At some point back in time someone in the family has had a fraction of it converted to VHS and the 15 mins of that is quite fascinating viewing, proper family archive stuff so I'd like to view all of it. Given that most of my paternal family skipped to the States in the 80's, it makes most sense to digitise it so that I can edit and upload to a private YouTube to share it around. Anyone have any recommendations or advice to get the right hardware to do this? I'm guessing that there must be something available that's basically a reverse projector but wouldn't know what to go searching for.
If you're looking to get the film scanned by someone else, there are at least a couple of companies in the south west:

I've used Nulight before - they really know their stuff.

For rough and ready, you can just project the film and record it with a decent camera, but for the best results you need to grab an image for each frame, which starts to get pricey, as precisely syncing the film and camera gets complicated. There are budget film scanners out there, no idea what the quality would be like though:

Reply to Where is this? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net