Discuss Wiring an outlet not using the red wire in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hey I'm looking to install an outlet into a cord in my wall that was exposed by a hole that had been capped. When I cut into it I found out it had 3 main wires (black, white, red, ground) and I assume it's because it leads to a 220V outlet on the opposite side of the wall. My question is can I wire up a regular outlet normally while basically bypassing the red wire? I made a diagram to explain my plan. I assume this would work, just making sure this is safe. Thanks for your time!
wiring_microwave.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know whether you are in US or other countries. In US, The ground wire (green) is simply bare copper, And when there are ground, white, black, red there, most likely it was meant for a 3-way switch. And this set of wires work together with another 3-way switch to control a single light.
I doubt that you can install an outlet with these wires because the 3 wires white, black and red could be HOT or NEUTRAL depending on the on/off of these two 3-way switches.
Another use for 4 wires with these colors is for two switches controlling two different devices (light and fan in a bathroom for example). The black is for one device and the red for other.

Other experts could give you better answers.

Oh, I just remembered one more scenario and this could work for you.
There is a case where there are 4 wires like these going into a receptacle outlet.
The black is connected to the top HOT terminal, and the red is connected to the bottom terminal. The black is always HOT and the RED is only HOT when there is an associated switch set to ON position. In this case, the connection between the two HOT terminals of the receptacle must be cut off allowing the RED wire to do its job.
This arrangement allows the bottom socket to support a light controlled by the switch, a very common scheme in USA bedrooms as bedrooms do not normally have any light installed in older houses !!!
Bottom line: if you verified that the black wire is always HOT, then your wiring scheme will work and will not disturb the next outlet which work as described above. Your new outlet works just like any other ones.

Reply to Wiring an outlet not using the red wire in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net