Discuss Would having upstairs/downstairs rings on same rcd speed up powerline adaptors in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

i'm trying to get the best speed i can from powerline adaptors scattered around the house. between the downstairs ones the speed is 784mbps, however to the upstairs ones only get 40mbps. i've eliminated all the interference i can around the house that was affecting the speed. if the upstairs ring was put on the same side of my consumer unit as the downstairs ring and then onl;y going through one rcd would that speed things up dramatically do you think?

any advice appreciated

It is likely that this would speed up the connection between the adaptors but it is unadvisable, and could be considered not to meet regulations, if both circuits are put on the same RCD. This is because some appliences and electrical devices have a small leakage current (which is normal and not a problem in its self). But if you combine too many of these devices on the same RCD by moving both circuits to the same side, these small currents can add up to enough to cause the RCD to trip. You will also loose every socket in the house in the event of a fault somewhere that causes a trip.

Can you get a cable from upstairs to downstairs anywhere? You could then have two seperate systems of powerlines on each floor, connected by a cable somehwhere (assuming the devices will work as two seperate systems in close proximity, but I think they should otherwise neighbouring properties would interfere with each other).

If he could do that, then a length of CAT5 cable would eliminate the requirement for Powerline thingies!

I was thinking he might be able to get to one point somewhere in the house, then the powerline adaptors could link to each room. You could also have a socket on each circuit installed next to each other by the consumer unit and link the two systems there. They would need to be clearly labeled to identify which circuit they were fed from.

yeah thanks guys, yeah i did think that might cause issues somehow. and good point about losing all the sockets in the event of a fault.

yeah cat5 to every room would be ideal but a nightmare to run (well more hassle than i can be bothered with anyway), in 5 rooms and 2 floors.

i'm not sure you can link powerlines between each other with a ethernet cable - obviously the inital one you can from router - although i could be wrong on that? But that's a good idea having 2 different networks of powerlines, i bought a roll of cat5e to install some cctv at home last week and have a load left over so will make a long cable up and run it from the router to the second network. yes i think they will work as two seperate systems in close proximity as they have a pairing function so i can just pair up the ones i need on each network.

thanks again!

Reply to Would having upstairs/downstairs rings on same rcd speed up powerline adaptors in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net