Discuss Wylex product recall - change of process? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

richy3333

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone heard that Wylex have changed the process for dealing with the MCB product recall?

I had to inspect a Volex board yesterday for some proposed works. Customer just moved in to new house. No idea who did the original install just a test date on the board suggesting it fits with the recall dates.

I called Electrium to ask about changing the MCBS, there are 12 of them, 6A and 16A. I was told that I had to purchase replacement MCB's, send the faulty ones back and they would then send me replacements! I never use Volex products so don't want to fork out for 12 Volex MCB's to be reimbursed with another 12 MCB's that I might as well throw in the bin! This sounds crazy? Plus I was told they no longer pay for the work. It's a product recall, I'm not a flippin' charity!

Cheers Durham.
I'm minded to write to Electrium/Wylex and give them full details of the property and the potential problem and tell them that in the event of a fire the customer will hold them responsible due to their obligations for a defective product. The house is in the sticks, if there is a fire it will burn down before Hugh, Pugh and Barny can get there!

Incensed as I was I have emailed the following to Electrium to see what response, if any it promotes:

I have just called about the MCB product recall. My customer has just moved into the property and when I was asked to inspect the electrical system discovered a Volex board which I believe has MCB's fitted that may be part of the product recall. 11 16A and 1 6A type B's.

During my call I was informed that I have to purchase the replacement MCB's, fit them and then send the faulty ones back to you; where upon I will be sent replacements. I do not use Volex equipment. To be honest I dont much care for Wylex products either. I was also informed that I would not be paid by Electrium/Volex/Wylex for undertaking this work.

I am totally stunned that I should undertake this work either free of charge, or that the customer should pay when the products, your products are potentially defective and potentially dangerous. I am sure you have a legal obligation to remedy the situation as a result of the defective products. The customer can not contact the installing electrician as he is not known and they would have little or no redress against him in any event as they did not employ him to fit the Volex consumer unit.

In view of what I have been told by Electrium I have passed a copy of this email on to my customer. I have recommended that they contact Trading Standards and also the Citizen Advice Bureau for further advice. In the meantime I put you on notice that there is a potentially dangerous board located at (address inserted) and in the event of an electrical fire emanating from the Volex board have suggested to the customer that they contact you direct.

Surely you are protected under your statatory rights? It is my understanding that a faulty product has to be reimbursed. I think its something like the sale of goods act?

Colshaws - will do. No response from Electrium yet...

timo1 - Sale of Goods doesn't apply in this scenario as the customer did not purchase the board. I guess it will be The Consumer Protection Act?

probably volex have realised the amount of money the product recall is costing them and are trying to cut costs.never liked volex products and I think the electrium name was just to smokescreen volex,s poor quality products.

i've recently come across a flat development (12 x flats + landlord cu), all with product recall serial no's. Contacted Electrium to see if the same incentive & process was still in place for installations installed by others.
i was told that the same as richy3333 that the original process had stopped ie ÂŁ75/recall.
i told them it wasn't worth my time (obviously) - buying replacement mcb's & fitting for F/A!!!
there loss!!!

Colshaws - will do. No response from Electrium yet...

timo1 - Sale of Goods doesn't apply in this scenario as the customer did not purchase the board. I guess it will be The Consumer Protection Act?

I take it the customer didn't request the work to be done either. If they did wouldn't the 1982 sale of goods and services act come into play? I know its an academic question as the customer doesn't know the name of the electrician who did the work. What i am asking is this if we as sparks fitted a board with faulty breakers then even if we didn't purchase the board and only fitted it where do we stand legally.

I think the customer would be the one to contact wylex for example as they bought materials but if wylex have a known issue then can you be brought to task under sale and supply of goods and services? If yes then wylex have put you in this position so do you have course of redress against them?

Ps i know we would change them as part of the service anyway it is a purely academic question

Last edited by a moderator:
Cogsey,
In your scenario:

You 'didn't' knowingly fit faulty breakers. The product defect comes to light after the fact. I guess if you knew subsequently that the breakers might be faulty/part of the recall you might have a duty to notify the customer that the board they purchased, but you fitted was art of the product recall. I think it would then be for the customer to pursue Electrium for the replacement breakers, and as you originally installed them, possibly ask you to change them over.

With regards to the Supply f Goods and Services Act in the scenario, you didn't supply goods, only services - fitting the board. The defective product doesn't arise as a result of your services/fitting, but a defective product that is part of a product recall.

Would the service you provided in good faith not be deemed to be inadequate as faulty goods were fitted? Again academic question as i can see a scenario where the customer may get uppity and try go down that route just to try the avoidance of paying out for new breakers.

p.s. with hindsight this is not entirely an academic question as a very similar situation did arise with one company i used to work for....lol

I'm in a similar situation, I had 20 Boards to check for faulty breakers, I've gotten through 10 so far and have now been informed that the I'll not be paid for the other 10, only reimburses for any breakers I swap..... So it looks like the other 10 boards will not be checked... I'm not a charity, and as far as I'm concerned, once I post addresses of final 10 to wylex, it's in their hands.

Ok I have been fitted with a short fuse so my attack line would be send them an email stating that they have a major problem on their hands because if the do not pay for the breakers being replaced any problems with electrical equipment and safety in the house is now their responsibility as the breakers are there to safeguard equipment and people alike and I am sure that over the years when the freezer or the washing machine etc etc finally fail the customer had been advised to take the issue up with then. I would also state that in my mind its very unreasonable to put other people's lives at risk because they are trying to save a few pounds because of their mistake and that i are taking no responsibility because I had done my duty of care by notifying them and the customer of the problem but as I did not fit the installation I am not responsible for it the only people at fault are them for the manufacture of the faulty goods and the responsibility lays at their feet alone.
Then state a copy has been sent to trading standards and citizens advice for their views and to make sure every one is aware it's not my responsibility.

Here ends the sermon for today amen.

Received the information pack from Electrium yesterday. According to their instructions I have to remove the faulty breakers and send them back, where upon they will send out replacement breakers for me to fit. Err, what does the customer do in the meantime - no breakers, no electricity! Blinding

What happens if a board does set of fire. I did a new install in 2009-2010 and forgot that I had installed a wylex board. Today the Bloke called me to say his C/U started buzzing then set on fire. I attended with in a hour and the board was burnt and a fire had started.
I change the board and hes okay as no damage was done to to room. But its very lucky that he was in the house.
My only concern is that it looks like it was the 32amp breaker that was at fault (16amp is the highest breaker in the recall)unless the 16amp that is next to it generated enough heat to set the 32 amp a light. I've not split the board down I've left it as it was. Everything has been retested and the results and within 0.03 from the test on Jan 2010.
What would you guys and gal's recommend me to do. The man lives alone the board as been okay for nearly 3 years. he uses very little power,
after the power was reinstated everything when back on with out any problem. I expected a faulty appliance, but there was nothing?

Attachments

• mcb fire.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 33
Sue the arse out of Wylex. ****e products!
They didn't respond to my email or recorded delivery letter.

Reply to Wylex product recall - change of process? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net