Discuss 16 x Sanyo 250w panels - Choice of SMA3300 or Diehl 3801TL inverter? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

Fran1

Hi there - I'm a complete novice and hope very much that you might be able to help me? After an intense search, I have found 16x 250w HIT Sanyo panels due to be installed at the end of November to meet the FIT deadline. I have been offered a choice of 2 inverters: SMA 3300 or a 3801TL Diehl AKO...

I am concerned that both of these are underpowered for a 4kw Sanyo System? I know that inverters are in short supply so probably have no choice but would I be better reducing my array to 14 panels (3.5kw) if I'm stuck with one of these inverters? This would presumably save some money on panels/ installation.....

Grateful for any advice - I have read the technical brochures for both inverters but am struggling to make sense of them! Also, I think that the SMA 3300 has a transformer but the diehl does not - any views on which one of these to go for?

many thanks in advance

Fran

I'd go for the Diehl. I'm not sure what the AC output power is on these inverters though. If it is above 3680 watts then you may have a problem - applications for >16A connections to the DNO are utterly pointless at the moment.

Thank you so much for your reply. The AC output on the Diehl is 3330 watts so that is ok but what do you think about the size of the inverter for a 4kw installation - its max. DC input is 3480 watts... I'm just wondering whether putting it on a 16 x 250w Sanyo panel installation is the right thing? Would welcome any advice?

I would go for the sunnyboy 3300, its ac output is 3600- it matches up perfectly well to this size system and we've fitted many 16 panel sanyo hit 250's. It gives fractionally different performance to a 4000tl through sunny design, it costs over £200 less and doesnt require a pre application.

sanyo very high effciency modules best with the most effcient inverter with transformer for best long term outputs
both listed inverters are very low effciency and old designs
16 x sanyo 250wp = 4kwp
best option 4kwp eltek valere theia 3.8het world record effciency photon magazine A plus 97% plus
16amps per phase per G83/1 4kwp rated with built in webserver
in stock if required scott 07934 617201 youtube search eltek thiea or can email full data and test reports if required

This industry has taught me not to get too wrapped up in efficiencies and so called "performance charts"- often they dont take into account build quality. What people forget is that these systems have not paid for themselves until the 6/7 year mark in a good situation, once its done that you want long lasting build quality- I'm not interested in year one performance im interested in 8/9/10/11..... year performance. Buy cheap buy twice in my opinion.

'sanyo very high effciency modules best with the most effcient inverter' - this made me chuckle, surely panel efficiency has no bearing at all on inverter choice- its completely irrelevant.

I would go for the sunnyboy 3300, its ac output is 3600- it matches up perfectly well to this size system and we've fitted many 16 panel sanyo hit 250's. It gives fractionally different performance to a 4000tl through sunny design, it costs over £200 less and doesnt require a pre application.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the yield from Sunny Design - it is not designed to give accurate yield data. The 4000TL is far more efficient than the SB3300 and I'd be staggered if it didn't provide a substantially better yield in practice.

Thank you for everyone's advice. We don't have much flexibility - its the SB3300 or Diehl 3801TL in order to get fitted by our installer before the FIT deadline so on balance, we've gone for the Diehl - fingers crossed! Thank you all.

Efficiency often gets confusing - efficiency of a panel is generally a measure of how many watts per square metre it will produce. However, people often speak of the efficiency of a panel as a whole: How will it perform under low light, hot temperatures etc.

I agree with Daytona that it is pointless spending money on the best panel if you then put an inefficient inverter in.

Dear Biggs Solar
This has been my fear but my installer tells me the diehl is not inefficient, indeed it is more efficient than the SMA 3300 and is rated A+ by Proton. This is how it sells itself:
Diehl Platinum 3801TLD: The new transformerless string inverter series with a maximum efficiency of 98 % and top-class MPP tracking – top performance between 4 and 8 kW without compromises. Based on state-of-the-art SiC components and DIVE®, a patented technology for increasing the efficiency, especially in the lower area of the inverter’s performance range

Am I really doing the wrong thing agreeing to connect this to my 16 Sanyo 250w array?

applications for >16A connections to the DNO are utterly pointless at the moment.

Last week we got a 10kWp single phase system approved within 48 hours by Central Networks aka WPD, we have 20 other applications in with various DNO's all have been acknowledged.

no what you mean biggs is that you should try and use the most efficient inverter with ANY panel, thats why I felt the point about panel efficiencies was irrelevant.

Reply to 16 x Sanyo 250w panels - Choice of SMA3300 or Diehl 3801TL inverter? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net