Discuss 3 core and earth on a light fitting in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good evening.
My son in law has moved into a 5 year old house with a conservatory. There is a 3 core and earth lighting cable poked through from the house into the conservatory which has never been attached to a light fitting. There is only ONE switch serving this light NOT two.
My question is how do I wire this into a new metal light fitting?
Assuming the brown to be live and the earth being the obvious bare unsheathed strand, which is the neutral .....grey or black? And can I close off the unused (grey or black) with a terminal block?

Thank you in anticipation

TL;DR
Wiring a light fitting with 3 core and earth which is served by only 1 switch.

Attachments

• IMG_20221221_201239768~2.jpg
    453.7 KB · Views: 6
Without a test to the cable conductors it is impossible to say from here.

Maybe, is the cable coming from the ceiling. Is it live because if it is that isn't safe.

Reactions: DPG
Can't believe it's been left live like that!

Can't believe it's been left live like that!
I'd hasten to add that with the wall switch off, all cables at the ceiling in the conservatory are dead.
When the wall switch is on, only the brown cable at the ceiling is live and both grey and black cables at the ceiling are dead. I thought either the black or grey would be neutral but which?

It’s impossible to say 100%
It should be grey… but saying that, it shouldn’t have been left like that.

5 year old house, I’m thinking there will be a neutral joint at the switch, so it’s easy to check…

Testing live with a proximity voltage detector or god forbid a neon screwdriver?

Most outside lights don’t require a 3 core.
I’m confused as to why it’s there.

It’s impossible to say 100%
It should be grey… but saying that, it shouldn’t have been left like that.

5 year old house, I’m thinking there will be a neutral joint at the switch, so it’s easy to check…

Testing live with a proximity voltage detector or god forbid a neon screwdriver?

Most outside lights don’t require a 3 core.
I’m confused as to why it’s there.
Thank you littlespark. We're playing safe with this one and have an electrician calling by to do a proper, safe job with the right equipment.

PS yes it was both a proximity detector AND a neon screwdriver. Eeeek

Reply to 3 core and earth on a light fitting in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net