Discuss 30amp air compressor wiring for garage/outbuilding in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all, new on here just looking for some advice.

First of all I'd like to point out that I'm not planning to do this job myself I'm just looking for some advice on what work may need to be done and if its a big job.

Basically I want an air compressor with a 2x3hp motor and 270L tank. something like this one from clarke Clarke XE29/270 (OL) 28cfm 270Litre 2x3HP Industrial Air Compressor (230V) - Machine Mart - Machine Mart - https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-xe29270---industrial-air-compressor-230/?da=1&TC=GS-000112350&gclid=CjwKCAiA-P7xBRAvEiwAow-VacNAmOYxZrPeh1CZaEvncIuF8C6MxKNEQjlJ6tDksJycN06NPF3dDxoCQrIQAvD_BwE

What I want to know is what do I need to power it properly. I've had a quick look around at the current wiring situation and as far as I can tell, the garage is wired on to my kitchen wiring circuit which is on a 32amp breaker in the consumer unit. When the garage was wired I did tell my electrician that I would want to use a big compressor in the future and he said he was wiring it suitably, the wire going into the garage looks quite thick so I'm hoping hes at least done half the job but what do I know.. Inside the garage is a box with a 100a main breaker switch, a 16a for the sockets and a 6a for the lights and thats it. I have the feeling that because the garage is on the same breaker as the kitchen this could be a bit of an issue?

Hi - you are right to be concerned about the electrical supply to that air compressor with 2 by 3hp motors. Perhaps ask your Electrician what cable he’s installed and we could comment.

If I’ve understood correctly you’re going to run the Garage off the kitchen ring final circuit (?). While that might be ok for a power outlet and a light, I just can’t see it working well with that compressor, sorry.

You need to confirm if the garage is definitely fed from the kitchen ring.

How easy would it be to route a cable directly from the consumer unit to the garage?

The cable running to the garage says on it BS5467 600/1000v 3x6 if thats any help.. I'm pretty sure its running off the kitchen trip switch as when I turn it off the garage lights go off. I don't think it would be too difficult to run a wire to the consumer unit as it would only need to come around the corner from where it already is. Honestly I'm not quite sure why he didnt do that to begin with but I'll probably give him a ring tomorrow and see what the deal is. I just want to get it set up properly before I spend the money on a compressor and end up not being able to use it.

Reactions: DPG
Just thought I would update this for anyone looking for info in the future.. my electrician came out and had a look at the set up, he said “ideally” you would want a thicker wire running down to the garage and linking straight up to the consumer unit. But he said that it would be fine as I’m only using it for DIY purposes and not running it all the time and the way compressors work they only run occasionally to charge up. He also said the worst that would happen is it would trip the breaker in the house and in that case we would need to upgrade the supply. Anyway I have since bought the compressor and it’s running great and not tripping anything off, also I think I got a bargain at £600 for an excellent used condition one of these compressors. Overall very happy! :)

That's not a good method of circuit design, waiting to see if the breaker trips.
[automerge]1581876334[/automerge]
Even a 'thicker wire' may not help if you are feeding this compressor from the kitchen ring.

Last edited:
Just don't use the compressor when the washing machine / tumble dryer / dishwasher etc is running.

I trust my electricians opinion and if he says it’s ok that’s good enough for me, he did wire most of my house after all. We know it’s not the ideal set up but it should be ok to get by with for now. It will likely be rewired in the near future with a better supply as we are having stables built which will also require power..

Anyway thank you all for your replies, not sure if or when I will be back on here so goodbye!

Feel free to delete this thread.

Last edited:

Reply to 30amp air compressor wiring for garage/outbuilding in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net