Discuss Adding additional sockets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

Forgive me for my ignorance, I'm looking to add 2 additional double usb sockets under my desk at home, the electrican I have had the quote from said he will wire them off the ring main, as you can only spur once off a socket. Is this safe and within regulations? Also he says that he will be able to do this without the need of getting a plasterer out, opinions?

You can spur more than one socket off the ring, if the branch off is protected by a 13A fuse.

If the wall is hollow plasterboard, then it’s quite possible to add a couple of sockets, extending the ring, without needing a plasterer.

If it’s a solid brick wall, then that would mean surface trunking to run cables in.

As little spark. If the socket you are extending from is already part of the ring it’s dead easy to add additional sockets by extending the ring especially if the additional socket is close to where you are axtending from.

Cheers for the reply, literally just going to be adding an additional 2 double sockets as well as the excisting under my desk, why don't people just add sockets by extending the ring main instead of spurs?

Cheers for the reply, literally just going to be adding an additional 2 double sockets as well as the excisting under my desk, why don't people just add sockets by extending the ring main instead of spurs?
Good question. Try sparking the debate on here about why we have ring final circuits at all. 😎

You could plug in an extension lead...

Good idea Long John..........Ooooo Arrrrrgh 😄

IMG_1615.JPG

why don't people just add sockets by extending the ring main instead of spurs?
Usually it is down to ignorance of electrical practice or simply it being a bit too inconvenient to do.

If you are adding a socket next to an existing ring it is fairly trivial to extend it to be included in the ring and then less issues of max load. True, the RFC assumes a reasonably distribution of loads around the ring but for the likes of PC or home entertainment the total load is not a problem. Usually only an issue in a kitchen with several high power white goods that is near one end of the ring (i.e. close to the CU).

That is under one desk of four...no wonder the electrician took out his RCD and put a switch in instead...no more tripping!
I counted 80 items plugged into many extensions in that one room, all off 2 double sockets...
Been like that for years and all is fine!
I have had a conversation with him, and he is coming round to my idea of improving things...but slowly...
The whole house is without RCD protection, and it's really time he bit the bullet and put in a new CU, all RCBO, and about 20 ways. He has a tiny board in a cupboard in the hall, but there is a full basement with excellent access, so a bit of a dream to reconfigure...
I should add, he is the cleverest guy I have ever met, a sound engineer, movie photograper, computer wizard like no other, and totally clued-up on technology...can do anything from woodwork to welding, IT and smart stuff, and his range of tools would make any branch of Screwfix or Toolstation look like a kid's toystore...he's totally brilliant...but ask such a man to switch his power off for a few hours? Forget it!

but ask such a man to switch his power off for a few hours? Forget it!
Yes, you need to get him round to the idea of it. Maybe suggest a change to get all equipment updated, or perhaps a way to clear any in-memory APT malware?

Yes, likely a load of male gonads, but a possible argument!

Also suggest he looks at some better quality extension blocks if it really is needed short terms, for example:

Reply to Adding additional sockets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net