Discuss Advice, help needed with training in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi to everyone, this is my first post so if is been already asked/answered please guide me to the relevant discussion/thread.
I don't know exactly how to format this so i'll jump straight in, i am 31 y/o looking to train in the electrical field, multiple reasons for that but as for everyone money and career progression is at the top ( currently working in a warehouse with virtually no career progression opportunities and just a bit over minimum wage ). I was looking online at training providers but i got lost in all the options and wording so what i am asking is; What training would you recommend for a beginner, that makes me a fully qualified electrician ? I have read on the forum that NVQ 3 and AM2 is the target to be fully qualified but i also read that to be able to do it you need to already work in the industry so how exactly can i enter in the industry if i don't have the needed qualifications ? I would prefer a "fast-track" option since i am not really able to go back to full time school ( personal circumstances ). I'll wait and appreciate your answers, thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum, there is no valid fast track option, let's get that out there, as it's what I thought I could look at years ago, oh boy was I wrong. You are in the right area with what you mentioned, however you'll need to be an apprentice for several years WHILST you attend college, you don't get quals THEN become a spark, it's an amalgam of doing the work on sites and learning in college all at the same time. So look for those courses that require this, in our area eastleigh college are great for pointing you in the right direction, but try those colleges near you. It's a MASSIVE learning curve if you want the big bucks, but personally it's the best thing I've done. If you want a chat you can message me here and I'd be happy to take a call.

Welcome to the forum, there is no valid fast track option, let's get that out there, as it's what I thought I could look at years ago, oh boy was I wrong. You are in the right area with what you mentioned, however you'll need to be an apprentice for several years WHILST you attend college, you don't get quals THEN become a spark, it's an amalgam of doing the work on sites and learning in college all at the same time. So look for those courses that require this, in our area eastleigh college are great for pointing you in the right direction, but try those colleges near you. It's a MASSIVE learning curve if you want the big bucks, but personally it's the best thing I've done. If you want a chat you can message me here and I'd be happy to take a call.
Going to college for a couple of years or doing apprentice work is not really a viable option since i have to go to work as well to provide for my family, i'm not 18 anymore so time is not really my friend, that's why i would prefer a course more intensive rather than go to school and waste some days just wandering around. I understand that courses are not seen very keen by some people but as long as it has the same information as a full time college i don't see why that is bad but college is good. I can and i am able to take in the information if that is a worry. The thing is no one would hire someone with 0 qualifications so that's why i am looking to get the first step by doing that then work for someone to get the practical side of things, i know there is no "fast" option and i wasn't looking to do it fast but growing starting from somewhere and in a few years to be fully qualified ( even if technically that not exists as i've seen here on the forum), but can't afford to lose years really just for theory. Thanks for your reply

Howdy again! I completely understand - I was actually a little older than you when I started out and retrained and yes - I too have worked in warehouse type jobs with no hope of improvement amongst other things, I totally respect the financial issues and the age related issues - though its not all bad: I now have my own company as an owner operator electrician - What I had to find out for myself (took about a year of research) was that with becoming an electrician there is a huge opportunity for you to waste a lot of your money undertaking courses and quals that offer the world but you end up in the same place = needing both onsite and quals - I talk to people about this often - usually as follows - 'I have x,y or z can you hire me as I need on site experience now' - its always a no, then polite redirection to where they need to be working and it breaks my heart, as they have all these almost useless expensive quals and what they require to be employable is actual on site experience with quals, remember with quals alone your value is also low as its both you need to progress, with experience but no quals you'll find work but you won't progress and you'll hit barriers - you will be able to work though so I guess onsite is actually the most valid but still not a good place to be - you just need to start at the very bottom, as you have neither quals nor experience so your value is low , which means that you are cheap to hire - but you need to be on a college course whilst you do this - this is for one day a week usually. I recommend that it might be better for you from what you say, to look at getting hired as an apprentice for the largest firms in your area, and I mean those that hire hundreds of sparks - as they will be able to pay an apprentice better than a tiny operator (like me or the guy I trained under), so that will help you financially and you will be working and being paid more as you improve (these companies will insist on an apprentice with college attendance), with your allowance of attending college for one day a week- you may find that you become a very limited new build electrician but its a foot in the door, and I know loads of guys that achieved it this way - they are all over 30.

So there is hope, but its a tough road, and you have to assess if you can take the financial plunge - big companies pay more but smaller firms typically (if they are actually any good) train you better as its work that the owner puts their name on, but big firms don't usually care as much (cue the moans about my opinion from the forum). In short you'll need an extensive level 3 NVQ with 2-4 years work experience - followed by your AM2, relevant bs7671 edition (known as the '18th') and then if you want to be a freelance spark - registration with NAPIT NICEIC, card, etc insurances, tools, van the list goes on. I appreciate that you may think I'm missing your point re training separately to working but from the inside looking out? This sort of career requires these both - no way around it.

Go with a big firm and they may be able to allow you to actually pay some bills.

Hope this helps - I received no support about fast track courses (and for months I kept insisting id find and use one) when I was looking to learn and this is basically what I'd have loved someone to tell me to save me the time I spent pursuing learning in my own time around my job/fast track etc) - as it was, in the end I succeeded to land the right firm and course but mainly by luck.

As I said if you'd like to have a chat over the phone I offer advice for free all the time - I do this because no one could be bothered to offer me any advice when I was in your position (except my use of this forum TBH) so Im here to help where others didn't.

Yours

D

As I understand it, you can no longer do the NVQ3 without first having completed the NVQ2 diploma - that was a change brought in by City & Guilds a while back.

Your best bet is going to be to talk to your nearest technical college and have them advise you of options. There may well be employers in your area offering adult apprenticeships, too. Again, if anyone knows it'll be them. As for money, I'm no expert but I vaguely recall that the NMW doesn't differentiate for apprentices once over 21, so if you're stuck on NMW already anyway then the 'hit' shouldn't be too large.

Have a look at this thread - its got some good qualification and work requirements discussed - may be helpful -

As I understand it, you can no longer do the NVQ3 without first having completed the NVQ2 diploma - that was a change brought in by City & Guilds a while back.

Your best bet is going to be to talk to your nearest technical college and have them advise you of options. There may well be employers in your area offering adult apprenticeships, too. Again, if anyone knows it'll be them. As for money, I'm no expert but I vaguely recall that the NMW doesn't differentiate for apprentices once over 21, so if you're stuck on NMW already anyway then the 'hit' shouldn't be too large.
Totally agree! - exact reason I mentioned our local college to contact!

Reply to Advice, help needed with training in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net