Search the forum,

Discuss advice needed re electrician problems in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sparkle333

im having my house renovated at the moment and seem to be getting lots of probs with various workmen, the latest being electricians , they have done so many things wrong and ive had to have them back a few times to sort out problems, ive had a new consumer unit put in lots of new sockets added in my house and a new extension built so they have done all the electrics for all the work needed , the kitchen sockets were all at different heights ,my cooker isolator had been put in the extractor hood , ive got a new lounge socket not working, new bell works intermittently , sockets in landing and my bedroom all uneven and looking mess, electric socket for my underfloor mat was put in bathroom. broken floor boards left everywhere and not nailed back down, a few other workmen have told me some of the work isn't good, the have left mess in my house every time they have come, wires left all over floor and plaster, they are mainly exhibition electricians and i think they don't have any idea about how to work in peoples houses r to talk to customers, ive asked them to come back and sort these jobs for me cos I need my cert , he got very nasty and swore at me in text and told me hes not coming back cos fed up of coming back and other trade men should keep their noses out of his business. what im worried about now is getting a cert to get my extension signed off, I have some pics too, any advice would be helpful thx

Were they the cheapest??

- - - Updated - - -

Did you get a certificate on completion??

no I haven't got a cert off them as they haven't finished the job, they were reasonable cos knew my son I law so more mates rates I think,but I only got 1 other quote which was £100 more so haven't got much to compare with ill try add some pics

think you need 6 posts before you can add pics.

I just tried and it wouldn't let me, do u just want photos of sockets or floor boards etc they damaged

get 3 more posts in, then you can post pics. just post pics. of what you've said. inc. damaged floorboards.

OK, so he' says he's not coming back, you then have 25% of the money to get it put right. i'd be inclined to get an independent electrician to have a look at it before doing anything else.

yes that's about right and I need a cert , would someone else do a cert for someone elses work

the photo box is now opening up and allowin me to put a pic in it then nothing happens help lol

nothing is happening just letting me add photo link and does nothing, im not very techno minded im afraid could it be file is too big

save pics to desktop in low resolution. then upload to forum using the insert image icon.

sorry I don't know how to save to my desk top in low resolution way beyond me lol, just know how to add to my photo album im afraid

Put them on Instagram or something similar then post the link up on here

You should be able to attach images to your posts. If you're using the quick reply text box click this button untitled2.jpg then under the 'from computer' tab click choose, a browse window appears so you can find the image on your PC, once you have done that the 'upload file' button will attach it in-line in your post.

Your images need to be <200kb because there's a size limit.

its not even opening up the window to upload a file now. could I email them for u to add, sorry to be a pain, ive tried to add a pic of me in my profile and cant, what a carry on, thx

ive added some pics on instagram, my id is kaz_33333, just had to get my daughter to do it for me

has anyone seen these pics on instagram, ive looked and my pics are around 2.8 mb no idea how to make them smaller unless cropping it does that

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 001.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 005.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 35
looks like a few have gone on but not all im trying my hardest here

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 005.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 35
its not showing pics added il I add post reply and not all pics

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 002.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 30
has anyone seen these pics on instagram, ive looked and my pics are around 2.8 mb no idea how to make them smaller unless cropping it does that

I see you manage to attach some photos but 2.8mb is way too big for the forum board. You can use any basic picture editor to resize them smaller. As I previously mentioned 200kb is a sensible size.

pictures above show the mess they left, some of the sockets looking a mess, kitchens 2 not same height, floor boards cut in wrong place and nothing underneath them so anyone standing on 1 would go through the ceiling . im trying to add more

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 003.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 27
im sorry not sure what im doing are these no good then, looks like its 220 kb accordin to size above

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 35
not sure If these are pics are showing for everyone to see

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 002.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 25
the left pipe running in bathroom that went through my new kitchen ceiling, put spot light random and looked a mess no pattern had to re do it all, my pulley cord in bathroom was about 20 ins from wall so plasterer had to remove it, not one thing have they done right, they have broken the fitting around my lounge light, the left wires under rsj and plasterer refused to t put boards over it, so that had to be all re done, been a total nightmare and now they have said their work is fine , other workers should keep their noses out of their work and I have no reason to complain and im the problem not them , and they are not coming out to finish work or give me a cert now

That just look a total mess. As you are paying them, you should tell them what you want (i.e sockets all on one level in the kitchen, pull cord in a reasonable position etc) before you pay them.

Are they a member of any scheme (NIC, NAPIT, ELECSA, STROMA)?

they have come back and re done the kitchen sockets as all 4 were at least 2 ins out , just got 2 that are only a few cms out now, the plasterer has moved the pulley cord, ive had to pay carpenter extra to sort out the floor boards, they even left my attic hatch open and light on and refused to come back it was freezing cold and took me 5 days to find someone else to help me, from day 1 its been horrendous, im now left with new lounge socket not working, socket in landing a mess as in photo, underfloor heating not connected to control, stain on new kitchen ceiling, and no cert for any of the work, how would I find out if they are a member of any scheme

You could ask them, google their company name or phone number. Although they may say yes anyway.

Then simply look on here. If they are a member of one of the schemes then contact the scheme with your concerns.

Did they give you a quotation or estimate on headed paper, with a proper address and landline?

do you think I have good reason to complain, I know nothing about electricians , I just want my cert so I can get my extension signed off

Dont complain yet, you have to give them a "reasonable" chance to put things right first.

no they didn't give me anything on paper only text, my son In law knows them so thought they would be ok, he didn't know if they were any good so not blaming him in anyway

do you think I have good reason to complain, I know nothing about electricians , I just want my cert so I can get my extension signed off
Did they promise you a cert? It could make interesting viewing if your get one. Remember, its not just about a cert - if they are registered you should get a Part P certificate later. Are building control involved? Did you need to have planning permission?

he sent me a text swearing at me and saying keep rest of money u owe me, get a good quality electrician to finish off and bye, no reply to my last text

yes the cert was part of the agreed price for all the work, I had building regs , didn't need planning

im having huge prbs typin on here anyone know y that is

Doesn't sound like they will be coming back anytime soon. Have you googled their number to see if a company name comes up? Ask your son in law if he can give you any more info.

just looked on their board they had left here it mention city and guilds and part p that's all

they have come back and done a few things I complained about, im still left with things not right and and I cant afford to have it all re done , im a single parent , im worried now

they are advertising at the local shop I will pick a card up 2 moz, the name on board is coming up with nothing when I put it in

it's poor. when a plasterer 'refuses to board over' an electricians cables because he thinks it's not right, it's definitely not. in fact, i've never heard it before - any other members? hope you get it resolved. there are some very helpful, knowledgeable people on here with good advice. good luck

they are advertising at the local shop I will pick a card up 2 moz, the name on board is coming up with nothing when I put it in

Regrettably unless they are scheme members there is little you can do except report them to trading standards. You may not think it worth while but they will act if the same names come up time and time again.

Please warn your friends and neighbours.

Do they have a "home or office" address on their paperwork?

Reply to advice needed re electrician problems in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net