Discuss Air source heat pump heating issue in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Pics as promise, turns out I have a 3 port valve on the buffer tank. The 2 port valve with the warning sticker is the one stuck on manual.

This was taken when both heating and hot water are on, the water pump is working as is the heating (as the hot water is on)
Air source heat pump heating issue 20190221_184517 - EletriciansForums.net Air source heat pump heating issue 20190221_184507 - EletriciansForums.net

Right, before you start pulling things to bits you need to check whether there is power at terminal 9 of the heat pump wiring centre, see page 9 of the manual.

If you have 230 at terminal 9 then the HP is asking the MV to open, if there is no power then the HP is not asking for heating regardless of what the controller says.

I still think this is a parameter error or sensor fault.

If you have power at terminal 9 and no power at the MV then a broken wire you have, or a hidden JB.

The ones I've seen tend to power the MVs from the HP, the orange/grey being used to power pumps via contactors.

Is there and internal wiring centre? If so a loose connection in there may be the cause.

Excuse my ignorance but what does JB stand for

Excuse my ignorance but what does JB stand for
Junction box,

The one on the wall next to the switches.

You'll probably find a multi core flex going from there to the HP.

One core will go to terminal 9 on the HP and the heating MV should be connected here also.

I'm not sure what the three port is doing, especially in the position it is. Might be a return diverted.

Any joy with the engineers manual?

It's difficult to see whats going on in that photo otherthan there is a call for heat as the pump is/should be running. I've never seen a buffer used like that before. What room stat do you have?

Junction box,

The one on the wall next to the switches.

You'll probably find a multi core flex going from there to the HP.

One core will go to terminal 9 on the HP and the heating MV should be connected here also.

I'm not sure what the three port is doing, especially in the position it is. Might be a return diverted.

Any joy with the engineers manual?

I won't be able to get round to that until the weekend, as soon as I do I will post the results

And I assume I put 1 probe on the live wire and the other on terminal 9? Sorry I am a bit of a noob unless the electrics are very basic
T9 should be a live feed to the heating MV, if I read the diagram correctly.

It should be live in heating only.

Test between T9 and a common neutral not a live.

Let me know how you get on.

T9 should be a live feed to the heating MV, if I read the diagram correctly.

It should be live in heating only.

Test between T9 and a common neutral not a live.

Let me know how you get on.

Just looked at the wiring diagram in full screen, the heating MV could be being fed from other places further up the terminals.

Could yo post a picture of this from inside the heat pump.

Hi - I think it's likely there is a control fault. IIRC the heat pump runs but has never been controlled properly for you (?). If so, it's possible the fault could be an incorrect control design (one that could never work), or an incorrect installation (defeating an appropriate design), or a more recent failure of valves, micro switches or conductors. There may also be an internal fault with the heat pump unit. Each of these needs eliminating and I think you are going to need onsite help with this.
PM me if you want.

Yes, the heating works whilst the hot water is on but doesnt work on its own accord. All the valves open etc as they should so in order to have heating, I have to turn on the hot water and the pump heats up both, problem is the heat pump turns off when the hot water is up to temp even if the room is freezing. If I just turn on heating, all valves etc work but the heat pump is off.

Reply to Air source heat pump heating issue in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock