Discuss Am I legally allowed to change a light switch on domestic without Part P? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
My friend rents out a house to someone and the light switch needs replacing like for like. This is obviously a simple job but as it is rented would need to be officially done by someone qualified. I am an industrial electrician and have an NVQ level 3 in electrical maintenance and have been working qualified for 5 years. I am also BS: 2391 (test and inspect) qualified which means I can sign electrical installations off. I am not however part p approved which domestic electricians are required to have I believe. Would I be able to change the light switch over without part P as I have got 2391 and can effectively say it is safe? The fact it is rented is why I am wondering.

Last edited:
Yes you can. A certificate is not required to replace a light switch, and although I would be reluctant to advise a diyer to replace a light switch, you clearly seem more than up to the task.

You are possibly more qualified to do the job than most , if you feel it’s necessary do a MWC for the switch.

Correct

No matter what people say you can not be be part pee qualified or part pee approved

No more than you can say you are gassafe qualified

I still tell customers I'm part P approved and they are almost always clueless what part P is so it doesn't really make any difference if you tell them you are part Z, M or F approved, registered or qualified (it is only 14 years since it was introduced so give it time).

Part pee will mean absolutely nothing to 99% of the adult population...

remind me again how many sparks have been prosecuted for flaunting partpee regulations..?

Part pee will mean absolutely nothing to 99% of the adult population...

remind me again how many sparks have been prosecuted for flaunting partpee regulations..?

Most unsafe/dodgy electrical work isn't even probably done by sparks, but builders, mates of a mates, diyers etc.

Regardless of who flauts the part P regs I honestly don't even believe that as many as 1% are prosecuted. I would doubt as many as 0.1% are prosecuted. The exception being that should you dare use the NICEIC logo without paying them for the privilege, then the chance of you being prosecuted increases considerably.

My friend rents out a house to someone and the light switch needs replacing like for like. This is obviously a simple job but as it is rented would need to be officially done by someone qualified. I am an industrial electrician and have an NVQ level 3 in electrical maintenance and have been working qualified for 5 years. I am also BS: 2391 (test and inspect) qualified which means I can sign electrical installations off. I am not however part p approved which domestic electricians are required to have I believe. Would I be able to change the light switch over without part P as I have got 2391 and can effectively say it is safe? The fact it is rented is why I am wondering.
Just to correct you the 2391 Inspection and Testing qualification is not a British Standard but a City & Guilds qualification.

Reply to Am I legally allowed to change a light switch on domestic without Part P? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net