Discuss AM2 testing in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Obviously, although what @davesparks said makes good sense and I'll certainly adopt it, as if a tester is going to fail and go 'bang', I'd rather that happen with it anywhere other than against my own body!
i trust my tester to not kill me even if it went bang and blew itself to bits.

Hi I did my am2 last week
Ze just measure each phase to earth and record the highest reading
We were told didn’t need to do pefc just pscc done same as ze except test between each phase and neutral then double highest one and record reading, were ever it says ze db just write your ze in.
You do polarity between all phases to earth, all phases to neutral, between all phases and neutral to earth, ze, pfc, phase sequence at board, then power on, phase rotation at each 3 phase circuits, rcd test then calculate your zs for each circuit.
Do functional tests and u have to write all calculations down

Is this using 3 lead high?

Ask them before you do the test. Where I did it they had a switch where they could bypass the rcd when testing in the bays
ive got my am2 next week im pretty much comfortable with everything apart from live testing as ive done it once about 2 years ago. I'm unsure on tester settings 2 lead low/ 2 lead high / 3 lead high /3 lead low

ive got my am2 next week im pretty much comfortable with everything apart from live testing as ive done it once about 2 years ago. I'm unsure on tester settings 2 lead low/ 2 lead high / 3 lead high /3 lead low

High current tests should be used whenever possible as they give the most reliable result.
A 3 lead low current test should only be used when the presence of an RCD in a circuit prevents high current tests.
A 2 lead low current test will be the least reliable and should only be used when no other method is possible.

High current tests should be used whenever possible as they give the most reliable result.
A 3 lead low current test should only be used when the presence of an RCD in a circuit prevents high current tests.
A 2 lead low current test will be the least reliable and should only be used when no other method is possible.
fantastic thats really helpful! presence of a rcd in a circuit? the its going to be a 3p&n mainswitch. I've been told we are testing from the supply side of the mainswitch so it wouldnt matter about the presence of rcds?
[automerge]1569866453[/automerge]
thanks buddy!!

fantastic thats really helpful! presence of a rcd in a circuit? the its going to be a 3p&n mainswitch. I've been told we are testing from the supply side of the mainswitch so it wouldnt matter about the presence of rcds?

thanks buddy!!
Yes as far as I’m aware you’re correct I’ve always measured my Ze and PFC at supply side of main switch with a 3 lead High setting so Rcds should not come into effect. I take the main earth out of the earth bar and do it that way to avoid parellel paths and give true reading.

Yes as far as I’m aware you’re correct I’ve always measured my Ze and PFC at supply side of main switch with a 3 lead High setting so Rcds should not come into effect. I take the main earth out of the earth bar and do it that way to avoid parellel paths and give true reading.

A high current test is a 2 wire test, it doesnt need the additional neutral connection that the low current tests require.
[automerge]1569876563[/automerge]
K

thanks buddy!!

If the supply to the board has an RCD further upstream, which it may do in a college enviroment, then you would still have to use a low current test. You will have to ask the person supervising your AM2 about this as it will vary between test centres, as someone mentioned earlier some of them will be able to bypass the RCD temporarily for the test.

Last edited:
A high current test is a 2 wire test, it doesnt need the additional neutral connection that the low current tests require.
K

If the supply to the board has an RCD further upstream, which it may do in a college enviroment, then you would still have to use a low current test. You will have to ask the person supervising your AM2 about this as it will vary between test centres, as someone mentioned earlier some of them will be able to bypass the RCD temporarily for the test.
Right ok I
K

Right ok so just to clarify are the results I’m obtaining wrong by carrying out the 3 lead test (high) with the neutral?

Right ok I

Right ok so just to clarify are the results I’m obtaining wrong by carrying out the 3 lead test (high) with the neutral?

I think you have missed my point, a standard loop impedance test (high current test) is a two wire test.
If you you connect a third test lead to carry out this test it won't affect the result as the tester will not include it in the test, all you will be doing is making more work for yourself and demonstrating a lack of understanding of how a loop impedance test is carried out.

Im prepared as i can be but i hear people testing it different ways e.g. supply side of the main switch and others doing side of the load side of main switch. I do not know which way is required for my am2 which is making me nervous.

When you're testing Zs at sockets i presume you're doing 3 lead low though right?

The board will be locked off at all times when the board cover is off so u can only do it on the supply side
You won’t be doing zs they will all be calculated, you can do on the sockets if u want but it’s pointless and a waste of time cause you only have to write down the calculated zs for all circuits anyway and also show your calculations

The board will be locked off at all times when the board cover is off so u can only do it on the supply side
You won’t be doing zs they will all be calculated, you can do on the sockets if u want but it’s pointless and a waste of time cause you only have to write down the calculated zs for all circuits anyway and also show your calculations

Okay yeah supply side is what I thought. So if it’s 3p&n
Earth fault loop impedance:
Setting on tester: L-PE and Max Z
Disconnect main earth and test between
L1-N-E
L2-N-E
L3-N-E

Re-connect main earth
Taking the highest reading and writing it in Ze

PFC
Setting on tester L-PE Max Z
L1-N-E
L2-N-E
L3-N-E

Taking the highest reading in KA and X2 to get the fault current of potential 2 phases recording it in KA ensuring it doesn’t exceed circuit breaker capacity’s

ZS
Mainswitch and 32a ring main to be turned on if safe to do so

The only live test that can be done is Zs at the sockets if a RCD is present ensure multi function tester has been set to no rcd trip to avoid nuisance tripping taking the highest Zs value which is normally the furthest socket recording it in the appropriate box

RCD
Ensuring to test both sides of the sine wave 0-180 degrees

1/2 second
1 second
5 seconds

And function test of the RCD

Functional test of all equipment once all covers have been installed back on.

Does this look right to you or can you correct me on anything?

Hi everyone,

a few questions here

Ze: In the AM2 is it just a 2hi test between L1 - Earth, L2 - Earth and L3 - Earth. Then take the highest reading out the three? and while doing that take the PEFC reading at the same time? after reconnecting the Main earth would I record my test result on the test sheet then take the PSCC - Then which ever was highest out of the PEFC and PSCC use that for my PFC but double the answer?
Obviously when doing the Ze the board is isolated but when it comes to doing the PSCC do I re energise the board and then do the test? and do all breakers have to be on?

Also on the schedule of results there is a Zs at Db, I think I have confused myself on this. In the AM2 I'm guessing the board is simulating that it is the only board of the installation therefore will only need to do a Ze?
Is the Zs at Db for when you have another DB fed off another?

when polarity testing its just a simple voltage check between phases - do I check phase rotation while doing this as well ?
And do I have to do Phase rotation on the three phase equipment before the Zs?

many thanks

hi mate
I’m doing my am2 at the moment and genuinely these sheets have helped me

with all tests and faults explained on there as such

Attachments

• C62FD4C9-175E-4E71-8CF1-B60A8D6D725A.jpeg
    136.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 4DD6BC80-FD7B-47A1-81FB-7A84796B607C.jpeg
    140.5 KB · Views: 27
hi mate

Those 2 pages you’ve uploaded are very good fair play clear and concise and easy to read and understand without all the nonsense. They will help many people to understand the testing requirements. I’m sure I got criticised on here for saying that the pfc test was a 3 lead test but those notes show that’s what is required.

hi mate

Hi Newthy,
any chance I could get those sheets emailed to me, trying to open the links on here but it keeps running into an error and wont load the images.

I am doing my NVQ portfolio/ trying to learn as much as possible about the am2 and testing this thread has really helped me with similar questions to OP.
Thanks
Regards
Ven

Reply to AM2 testing in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net