Discuss Any advice on rewires? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

No to mention , I’m only 42 and my knees , wrists and back are already giving my trouble...after an hour bent over doing feeding cables it takes me 5 minutes to get back up.
I don’t want to be a cripple by the time I reach 50.
there must be loads of youngsters out there looking for work experience, who would be ideal for bashing boxes & pulling cables etc

And if you meant Republic of Ireland their regs changed in 2013, and the last chance to use the old stuff was a couple of years later.
The new regs issue in question was IS 201-4:2013.
Also the CPC is insulated and the same cross-section as the L and N, not reduced like the UK.
But I suppose it could still be classed as T&E but nothing like the UK version and has to be in Conduit.
Romex in the USA/Canada?

Plenty of retired folks out there who are fit and willing-I do such stuff sometimes. You will find that retired folks don't expect hefty pay-packets, will turn up on time, won't spend time on their mobile phones nor insist on having a site radio at full blast all day long. Maybe less keen to work a 10 hour shift, but happy to turn up for a few hours just when you need a hand. You might be surprised how many older folks out there have a bit of experience too. If you have a local branch of The Men's Shed charity, ask them if they have any suitable members. My branch has electricians, decorators, wetpants, CCTV and alarm experts, engineers and metalworkers, woodworkers and plasterers and many other skills. The Shed often has tools and machinery which may be of help if you need some welding or repairs, or just need your chisels sharpened. Tons of experience for not much money.

I did a lot of them on my own, OMG rooms full of furniture , move all in the middle of the room pull up carpets, then cut through 100 layers of lino, lifted minimal floor boards fish wires with my unwound metal coat hanger taped to oval conduit (before all the fancy mech aids you get now lol), repeat same in other rooms, hard bloody work.

Conduit clips mean the oval stands out a bit far @happyhippydad, not much and anything that do t need to chased us a bonus, as per @Leesparkykent i just drill in behind at an angle plug it and then pinch the oval with a screw keeps it tight till the biding goes over ?

I am intending to try it with wall dog and no plugs just to speed things up a bit more ?
Just updating this thread..

I've purchased the metabo wall chaser with triple blade and used it on a few jobs now.

I LOVE IT!

It takes out the entire chase, without any problem. One member mentioned that he was unsure about buying the triple blade as it may not cut through hard surfaces. It has gone through every surface I have tried it on so far, including red brick. Obviously the depth would make a difference, but I have it set to around 20 (I think), maybe 25mm) which is fine for capping and oval conduit.

The width that the triple blade cuts is perfect for 25mm oval conduit. It fit snuggly in with perhaps 2 mm left to drill a 5mm hole and screw in some concrete screws, no need for wall plugs. I use the pan head concrete screws and the conduit is completely firm.

I cant find the wall dogs @Baddegg, screwfix have sold out. I'm using these from screwfix Easydrive Countersunk Concrete Screws 7.5 x 50mm 100 Pack - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/easydrive-countersunk-concrete-screws-7-5-x-50mm-100-pack/1066h
but they've sold out too! It's great not putting in a wall plug.

All you need to do now as a sideline is hire yourself out with it and get your money back.
Mind you I have no idea how much replacement blades are. :)

I cant find the wall dogs @Baddegg, screwfix have sold out. I'm using these from screwfix Easydrive Countersunk Concrete Screws 7.5 x 50mm 100 Pack - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/easydrive-countersunk-concrete-screws-7-5-x-50mm-100-pack/1066h

try a double glazing wholesalers for those screws @happyhippydad, window fitters use em every where....

I should add, I've only been using it for a month, so I've no idea of the longevity of the triple blade. Still worth a try though.

try a double glazing wholesalers for those screws @happyhippydad, window fitters use em every where....
Screwfix stock has gone to ---- lately, toolstation had wall digs though when I last got them, luckily my local stores are directly next to each other

They are in Maidstone and Sittingbourne, both in Kent, I think it's a bit like Aldi and Lidl once one arrives the others follow on, Oh also like bus's use to be when I travelled by them, can't remember the last time though.

Not on the island @JBW175 bloody miles apart....

That’a absolutely disgraceful planning mate, just to rub in, we’ve got Wall Dogs in stock....?

although I still miss going out on Albert & Palmy road, so you win that one. ?

Is that the Island of England or the Freezer food outlet.

I’m pretty sure that he’s on about the isle of Portsea, and not to be confused with those 6 fingered webbed feet people from the IOW.

EDIT, no offence meant for any 6 fingered banjo players from the Isle of Wight that dabble in electrics.

Reply to Any advice on rewires? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net