Discuss Any idea what this exterior box is for? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

JohnnyTre

DIY
Reaction score
Does anyone know what this box on the outside of my house might be for? It has four pipes going into the ground. The four pipes coming in all have a single blue, white, and green 12-gauge wire. All similar-colored wires are simply connected inside the box. I was hoping to run a new wire out of this to create an outlet for some string lights, but I'm not totally sure what this box might be for. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
IMG_0848.jpg

find the other ends ofthose conduits and see where they come from and where they go.

Do you have some existing outside lights, or lamps on gates etc.?
infact, what outdoor electrical devices are already there?

As all the cables are bunched together in wire nuts , one presumes that they all go off to feed the same thing. Lights perhaps ?

most likely,
1 pipe has a feed in cable that supplies electricity to the other 3 sets of cables going down the other pipes to some electrical devices.

Does anyone know what this box on the outside of my house might be for? It has four pipes going into the ground. The four pipes coming in all have a single blue, white, and green 12-gauge wire. All similar-colored wires are simply connected inside the box. I was hoping to run a new wire out of this to create an outlet for some string lights, but I'm not totally sure what this box might be for. Any help is appreciated. Thanks! View attachment 90307
This box appears to have multiple 120vac and possibly 240vac circuits in it. The 4 pipes have to come out of the ground somewhere and as stated above you need to find where they come up out of the ground. It’s not possible for me to help you until we find out what the circuits are being used for. It looks like somewhat new work. I would like to tell you yes you can tap on to one of the circuits in the box for a few lights but please find them conduits so we can identify what they are being used for. I doubt seriously that all 4 conduits come up in the same place so help us find them and take pictures. Good luck

Reply to Any idea what this exterior box is for? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net