Discuss Any ideas how to solve this? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Water is being sucked up though the armoured cables and is corroding the armourings , after hours of investigating I'm unable to find the cause as other ends not wet so must be a joint under ground,buried not accessable the last sparky gave this a code 2 but not solved the issue,

Is there anything that can be done to prevent this without digging up looking for a joint no one knows where it is?

Attachments

• 20191031_145859.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 124
Sorry, it’s a case of cut back the outer sheaf until you come across a good and in corroded section
Then joint it and replace cable

Water is being sucked up though the armoured cables and is corroding the armourings , after hours of investigating I'm unable to find the cause as other ends not wet so must be a joint under ground,buried not accessable the last sparky gave this a code 2 but not solved the issue,

Is there anything that can be done to prevent this without digging up looking for a joint no one knows where it is?
Seeing as the corrosion is more prevalent where it is glanded into the enclosure, I would imagine that either a spillage on the top of the enclosure coupled with galvanic action brought about by poorly made off glands, and dissimilar metalwork, rather than water being sucked up via a joint in the cable, by and by what is the enclosure being used for?

Is water being sucked up from the gland end we can see in the picture? Is this indoor or outdoor? Do you have a picture showing more of the cable run? Is water running down the cable through the shroud causing the corrosion? If the latter this could be fixed quite easily.

Sorry, it’s a case of cut back the outer sheaf until you come across a good and in corroded section
Then joint it and replace cable
Thought so thanks
Seeing as the corrosion is more prevalent where it is glanded into the enclosure, I would imagine that either a spillage on the top of the enclosure coupled with galvanic action brought about by poorly made off glands, and dissimilar metalwork, rather than water being sucked up via a joint in the cable, by and by what is the enclosure being used for?
It's just to make the cables of into the inner cores then go about 1m in trunking and feed the panel board

The water seems to be dripping out of the armoured cables not just a spill as it's constantly wet

Just noticed my typo, in corroded should read uncorroded
Oops.

Is water being sucked up from the gland end we can see in the picture? Is this indoor or outdoor? Do you have a picture showing more of the cable run? Is water running down the cable through the shroud causing the corrosion? If the latter this could be fixed quite easily.
No water seems to coming down the inside of the cable
The cables are visible for 2m above the glands then go under ground to a sub station

Ha ha lol you don't want to help do you
I do have a few days off as I have no work planned in for November, but I'd rather sit at home watching TV than digging in the dirt thank you very much... :tonguewink:

Forgive me for being thick, but I can't get my head around why the cables go upwards to underground. Is this below ground level?
The bloke who gave it a code 2 was carrying out an EICR. Was he given the task of trace and repair?
[automerge]1572563049[/automerge]
is it condensation ,damp, etc.? to bre honest the quality of galvanising is very poor these days
It's rusting because of the drilling that's taken place....the first point being the earth bolt.

if the galvanising was better then drilling a hole should not make any difference ( school boy pyhsics ) but it does look like a very damp enviroment.
But the steel isn't galved internally and the bolt isn't galved...although, I do agree, it's not done as well these days as it used to be. My schoolboy physics (common sense) tells me that a weak point occurs where something is broken.

no steel is galvanised internally ,and i have no idea if the bolt is galvanised or not (or other coating ) but do agree about weak points . off topic but fitted a couple of chrome lights this week and the chrome plating was dubious to say the least ,very poor and almost pitted

Reply to Any ideas how to solve this? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net