Discuss Any one know how to cut in an external right angle into trunking? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

If this forum is full of sparks, I'd estimate there should be thousands who can do this tast

- - - Updated - - -

task.........................................................lol

What are you like with internal bends, tees, multi compartment trunking, cross sections, dog legs, double sets etc please see drawings attached

The easiest way is to buy the right bend for it!

But if that option isn't available you need to think about out and mark it out and visualise how its going to go together. But basically you need to cut through the three sides leaving the lip intact, cut the back out of one bit to match the depth of the trunking and cut the back of the other bit to form a flap which will bend down inside trunking and forma clean edge for the cables to rest against.
Then you file off all of your cut ends so that they are smooth, bend it all into place and drill and rivet it together.

Also possible to make this bend by cutting the sides at 45 degrees to vertical either side of where you want the bend to be then make cuts across the back to join the ends of the 45degree cuts.
File all the cut ends smooth and fold together into place
Cut plates out of spare bits of trunking to go across the joins in the sides, File them up and drill and rivet into place.
Cut and fold a plate to cover the join at the back of the trunking and form a smooth edge to not damage the cables, file the edges of this piece and drill and rivet into place.

The final step of both methods is to offer it up into position and swear profusely at it when you realise you have cocked the measurements up and your bend is in the wrong place, usually by a length equal to the width of the trunking.

The second method tends to look better if it is going to be obviously visible after installation but the first is quicker and easier to get right.

I must be mad but here you go.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 301
Personally I assume when someone says trunking or conduit they mean metal unless they specify plastic.
I'm sure for other people it is the other way around

Not so much wet behind the ears as absoloutely drenched in this beautiful british weather.

I am indeed young and have much to learn, but I served my apprenticeship and manage to stretch out the time I was with my mentor as long as possible. We went our seperate ways when that company ceased to exist but we stay in touch and I still employ him sometimes if I get a job where I would benefit from his experience. And I quietly pay attention to other people's method's when I get the chance, sometimes I pick up useful tricks.
If I have to rip out an old system i'm not familiar with i'll take it apart a bit more carefully and try to understand it just in case I have to fix a broken one oneday.

Ridiculous having to provide someone with photos of how to make a bend!

If you get really stuck on a complicated bend then get your measurements sorted, call Phillip Graham and they will weld the bend. They are awesome!

Because it highlights the difference between apprentice trained and Electrical Trainee.
What a showing up, asking something as simple as that.
What sort of calibre of sparks are out there these days?

I didn't learn to do it as part of my apprenticeship, we rarely used real trunking and when we did we used prefab fittings.
The first time I had to make my own I just applied a bit of common sense and the basic metalworking skills I learned from my grandad.

Reply to Any one know how to cut in an external right angle into trunking? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net