Discuss Auto Highlight key word(s) ... one for Mod's in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Darkwood

Staff member
Mod
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Ive noticed for a while now that some words are auto highlighted and if clicked to you to a link or advertisement... im wondering if this is forum related and do the linked pages sponsor the website or is this related to my explorer or such with a shadow program running in the background... i only get it on this forum so wondered does anyone else.

Last edited:
You can put any hyperlink in you're post. Just highlight the word and then use the link button (globe with chain).
Just like my signature.

Yes ive done that before but these words are doing it without my input and take you to a external site which links you to advertisers that relate to the word... just wondered if something is piggy backing on the forum and getting indirect advertising without sponsorship.

I wrote current transformers in a previous post and it auto highlighted on posting it took you to a link with various companies selling the product.

Or the word install ....brings up an i-pad2 advert over post while you hover.

Last edited:
@darkwood. Have you added any toolbars to your IE/Firefox etc? Even inadvertently? Check your web browsers for "add-ons".

What AV are you using? I'd do a scan. If you haven't got Malwarebytes' Download it, fully update it, then run a full scan in Safe Mode.

In the Search or Run box type Msconfig.exe. System configuration opens, click on the start up tab. This'll show you how much crap is starting with your pc. I've got four. The system, AV prog, Malwarebytes & WinPatrol. You might find something iffy in there.

Do you use ebay? Look on your pc for price peep, if there, get rid of it.

I could of course be teaching your granny to suck eggs, if so, sorry.

HTH.

Well if the above post to you hasn't highlighted 'install' and 'current transformer' as it has to me then you have answered my question that i must have a ghost spamming programme running on my laptop as these words appear on other posts as well as mine but i wasn't sure as i have no issue on other sites and forums.

@darkwood. Have you added any toolbars to your IE/Firefox etc? Even inadvertently? Check your web browsers for "add-ons".

What AV are you using? I'd do a scan. If you haven't got Malwarebytes' Download it, fully update it, then run a full scan in Safe Mode.

In the Search or Run box type Msconfig.exe. System configuration opens, click on the start up tab. This'll show you how much crap is starting with your pc. I've got four. The system, AV prog, Malwarebytes & WinPatrol. You might find something iffy in there.

HTH.
Cheers ive had a browse already but before i went in deeper i thought id ask if its a issue with this site as i have no issues on any other forums or sites but i have my answer to dig a little deeper cheers

Sometimes the names of Books auto highlight, or brand names etc. I think this is your internet browser assuming a search is taking place or something in the back ground. I have noticed it on peoples posts before, sometimes some really ambiguous stuff too. I dont think the forum is being sponsored by 'panda slippers' or 'feminism - by J.O Penny. It's just the internet being a spaz

thx but not skim links disabled ages ago.... found it its a plug-in that wont allow me to disable called -shopping sidekick plug-in- ..... it reckons it was installed on 12/12/12 at 12.12pm ..... and deffo wasnt as i know where i was well at least i got the culprit just to dig it out as its over-ridden all disable options so im going in the backdoor (a sentence i will never utter for any other reason) :) cheers all for suggestions.

HTH.

Cheers for the link i downloaded and found 13 malware clogging up my system i was only aware of the recent issue so now they are exterminated and it like my pc has been on steroids its perceivably much faster..... im not computer illiterate but some of them buggers were buried deep and hiding under false names ...again cheers! :)

Cheers for the link i downloaded and found 13 malware clogging up my system i was only aware of the recent issue so now they are exterminated and it like my pc has been on steroids its perceivably much faster..... im not computer illiterate but some of them buggers were buried deep and hiding under false names ...again cheers! :)

No probs dude! Glad to have shared an ickle bit of my knowledge along. (Hang on. Wrong Forum.) :p

Another trick (as you probably know) is to do a search for "shopping sidekick" then with another search find there IP address and the exact name and add it to your Hosts file. Just change the (e.g) 123.4.5.6 IP address to 127.0.0.1. That's your own pc. So it searches (initially) for 123.45.6 IP address but your Hosts file says "Nah! It aint! Its 127.0.0.1!! Then shopping sidekick can never phone home. It phones your own pc.

N.B.

In your Hosts file add:

127.0.0.1(A double space)Web site name(shopping sidekick) If you want to add a description after the name, do a space, then hash # and write your description (----y piece of crap!!). The hash (#) makes the host file not read further along that line.

Note that the Hosts file is read only to begin with so you need to remove that in the properties (r-click, at the bottom) window. Just make sure you make it read only again after editing.

I had the same problem on 1 of my websites, checked in the control panel for any newly installed programmes and found the culprit, an advertising downloaded file which had accidently been downloaded attached to another file, removed it and all is well.

Another trick (as you probably know) is to do a search for "shopping sidekick" then with another search find there IP address and the exact name and add it to your Hosts file. Just change the (e.g) 123.4.5.6 IP address to 127.0.0.1. That's your own pc. So it searches (initially) for 123.45.6 IP address but your Hosts file says "Nah! It aint! Its 127.0.0.1!! Then shopping sidekick can never phone home. It phones your own pc.

N.B.

In your Hosts file add:

127.0.0.1(A double space)Web site name(shopping sidekick) If you want to add a description after the name, do a space, then hash # and write your description (----y piece of crap!!). The hash (#) makes the host file not read further along that line.

Note that the Hosts file is read only to begin with so you need to remove that in the properties (r-click, at the bottom) window. Just make sure you make it read only again after editing.

Your on the wrong ruddy forum Elmer lol ...strange feeling getting helpful advice instead of giving it for once ...i did get into it all many years ago but its all changed since my BASIC 48k spectrum but if you ever want to know how to get your name to copy continuously on screen then im your man ;) Cheers again

Reply to Auto Highlight key word(s) ... one for Mod's in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net