Discuss Before you change a distribution board in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

As daft as this sounds, has anyone ever fused down the meter tails to say 80A, then stuck them in an enclosure with just an RCD in then taken that to an old board, say a 3036? just to RCD protect everything?

I know it sound barmy, just wondered if anyone had actually done it.

Agreed, the Curve is a great board, I really like them and there is enough room in there to fit a sofa inside, bloody great for the price.

As daft as this sounds, has anyone ever fused down the meter tails to say 80A, then stuck them in an enclosure with just an RCD in then taken that to an old board, say a 3036? just to RCD protect everything?

Why would you do that?

Read BGB reg 314

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed, the Curve is a great board, I really like them and there is enough room in there to fit a sofa inside, bloody great for the price.

Additional RCBOs are a lot cheaper than all the other too.

Why would you do that?

Read BGB reg 314

- - - Updated - - -

Additional RCBOs are a lot cheaper than all the other too.
yes very true, I actually fitted a curve less than a week ago, it was really impressive, I couldn't believe the space inside the board, it was the second I have fitted in that range of late.

I'll have to take a look then. I use Hager at the moment, sure the case is flimsy and unless you have or create a flat surface it's a pain in the behind. The reason I stick with their stuff is because I have never had one fail at test, nor have I had to return to one to replace a failed unit under warranty. Which has made me loath to change to another make.

Yes. Two Wylex 8 way boards with the plug in MCB’s fitted and two upfront RCD’s.
TT supply with a 100A head fused down through two 60A Red Spot fuse bridges.
It was my own house. 40 year ago and I was years ahead of the 17[SUP]th[/SUP] edition split boards.

P.S. the Wylex boards were the best I could afford then, the RCD’s were £60+ each. I bought the house while still an apprentice, money really was tight.

Seems appropriate to the topic and just to prove us inexperienced guys make mistakes too and do things we know we shouldnt do! I only do board changes once I've done and EICR to test for all the good points so far raised -- rules of my game for a new consumer unit -- and was out at a customer today changing the board post the EICR. (The more astute members of the forum will have noticed the lack of my dulcet tones today!)

On the EICR I had picked up the 'borrowed N' on the landing lights and the customer had decided she didn't want it rectified but to put both up & down lights on the same C/B and record details on the EIC -- long story but she is good looking and I agreed! ( I also proved to myself by admiring her ample cleavage that men can focus on two things at once :wink_smile: )

Anyways, being the caring sharing guy who likes to get the customer involved in seeing what I do, I was attempting to impress her with a 'live' demo of what a 'borrowed N' can do and why really she should have it corrected. During the course of the demo however I managed to give myself a gentle 'zip' across my finger with the offending neutral and neutral bar. Horror, gasp, incompetence, should be struck of the register I hear being screamed at computer screens throughout the world -- and I hold my head in shame, should have known better.

Motto of the story for the experienced and inexperienced amongst us -- keep to quoting regs if you want to impress the chicks!

p.s. should any members of the HSE be viewing their EAWR's with glee, all the above is totally false and is just being used as a means of indicating to persons on the forum the potential dangers that a 'borrowed N' could cause. Under no circumstances would I actually be stupid enough to endanger myself or others with 'live' working other than IAW the EAWR's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems appropriate to the topic and just to prove us inexperienced guys make mistakes too and do things we know we shouldnt do! I only do board changes once I've done and EICR to test for all the good points so far raised -- rules of my game for a new consumer unit -- and was out at a customer today changing the board post the EICR. (The more astute members of the forum will have noticed the lack of my dulcet tones today!)

On the EICR I had picked up the 'borrowed N' on the landing lights and the customer had decided she didn't want it rectified but to put both up & down lights on the same C/B and record details on the EIC -- long story but she is good looking and I agreed! ( I also proved to myself by admiring her ample cleavage that men can focus on two things at once :wink_smile: )

Anyways, being the caring sharing guy who likes to get the customer involved in seeing what I do, I was attempting to impress her with a 'live' demo of what a 'borrowed N' can do and why really she should have it corrected. During the course of the demo however I managed to give myself a gentle 'zip' across my finger with the offending neutral and neutral bar. Horror, gasp, incompetence, should be struck of the register I hear being screamed at computer screens throughout the world -- and I hold my head in shame, should have known better.

Motto of the story for the experienced and inexperienced amongst us -- keep to quoting regs if you want to impress the chicks!

p.s. should any members of the HSE be viewing their EAWR's with glee, all the above is totally false and is just being used as a means of indicating to persons on the forum the potential dangers that a 'borrowed N' could cause. Under no circumstances would I actually be stupid enough to endanger myself or others with 'live' working other than IAW the EAWR's.

Fair play for admitting you got a whack!!!!
But at least you did do a EICR prior to carrying out the board change, and part of me feels a liitle for the guy on this post and im sure after this barrage of abuse he wont be doing it again sharpish. The people i really feel sorry for though are the people who are left without electric for however long the numpy takes to sort it all out. Especially if its an elderly person who is freezing and lonely. I THINK THATS WHAT IS FRUSTRATING THE PROPER SPARKS ON HERE !!

Since you seem pretty enthusiastic about that CU I'm guessing it's worth a look, Denmans are not in my area (Portsmouth) but perhaps they supply online, will have a look.

Reply to Before you change a distribution board in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net