Discuss Before you change a distribution board in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I usually say a £50 pre work survey is done first to identify any issues, then this comes off the bill at the end. I normally do this during the week before the board change. its 'unlikely' that anything will break or cause problems in-between doing that and changing it, admittedly I do global IR's just as a good measure just before I rip it off the wall.

Its not just a case of finding if you can fit a new board though is it , What are you reconnecting , I am inclined to do a good visual even before doing the testing , near enough an EICR , Charge for half a days labour say £90 + VAT (subsidised), and offer this as a deposit of the new Board and any remedial works , If you do find faults I always include these in the quotation and explain this to the customer and and always stipulate on the quotation that any additional faults not found is subject to extra cost ..

Its not just a case of finding if you can fit a new board though is it , What are you reconnecting...QUOTE]

Where do you draw the line between only being responsible for the board change and then opening a can of worms on the installation when doing a visual knowing there's some rough work but will still work when connected?

I always make it clear what needs to be done to bring the installation up to standard , If the customer doesn't want the work doing, I advise them that I personally would not carry out a board change without it , If its a case of rough work but still compliant , I again would advise them and also explain that this would be noted on the Installation Cert , as far as I go I do not use the comments box on the certificate to explain non compliances after I have changed a board for them ,,,

I don't discount the rate for testing the existing installation, nor do I offer to knock that amount off of the cost of the CU change. That work and the costs involved are part of the CU change as far as I'm concerned, not 'nice to have' additions.

I'll happily compete with anyone on quality of work and materials, but I have no intention of competing with anyone to see how cheaply the job can be done. The costs involved in running my business (as opposed to a not for profit organisation or charity) are what they are. All this discounting this and knocking off that is a race to the bottom.

I don't discount the rate for testing the existing installation, nor do I offer to knock that amount off of the cost of the CU change. That work and the costs involved are part of the CU change as far as I'm concerned, not 'nice to have' additions.

I'll happily compete with anyone on quality of work and materials, but I have no intention of competing with anyone to see how cheaply the job can be done. The costs involved in running my business (as opposed to a not for profit organisation or charity) are what they are. All this discounting this and knocking off that is a race to the bottom.

Fair Point ,, All I would say is I am not the cheapest by far , when you look at the total price for the work , I just find the procedure you apply makes you look more professional and customer always knows where they stand, if you make it clear.
If your way works for you then thats o/k , as regards price structure ..

There are many ways to earn a living/run a business. I'm not criticising anyone for the way they operate, just pointing out that once you start on the discount route it can be a slippery slope.

imago and ray, you two guys are sparks discussing what we would assume to be the norm here, don't forget the guys who change these dbs and then get all flustered when problems occur are not electricians, therefore your conversation is irrelevent in this thread, your over qualified here lol

I just meant that I say to the customer £350 all in, and that includes the survey of £50 payable upfront, so if you choose to continue its £300 on completion, or find someone else. What I don't do is test it and then find problems and them think about it and find someone else as I would then have lost out.

I go round, have a look at the set up, number of circuits etc, quick chat to see what other work if any is planned in the near future "Oh, yeah, we're having a kitchen extension built in the Summer." anything that needs RCBOs and so on.

Then I prepare a quote which is £xx to test the system, £xx to fit the new CU and point out that any additional work which arises from the testing will be quoted for separately.

Disconnect the wiring from the existing "fuse box" go around the house and unplug everything, and I mean everything from the socket outlets, remove all light bulbs from lights and ensure all switches are on.

...and naturally link out any neons, look in the loft for a light or TV booster, ask customer about hidden sockets in cupboards and the list goes on and on....

Or better still don't just mess about swapping board, go for a full rewire like JRC ( I miss him already ) bet he could do full rewire faster than we all can do a board swap

Or better still don't just mess about swapping board, go for a full rewire like JRC ( I miss him already ) bet he could do full rewire faster than we all can do a board swap

Where is JRC ???
Did he trace that fault thats impossible to find or did he send the " BOYS" for there 26th trip to the house. I would love to have gone there with him and found the fault in 2 minutes and seen his face when i asked for the grand pmsl

He asked for his account to be closed due to the grief he was getting I think he will emerge under a new identity and try to turn over a new LEAF

I suppose there's a couple of questions which should be asked right at the start.

1) Is there a good reason for replacing the distribution board currently in place?
2) If so, is a 17th edition split load suitable, or would RCBOs be more appropriate?

Where is JRC ???
Did he trace that fault thats impossible to find or did he send the " BOYS" for there 26th trip to the house. I would love to have gone there with him and found the fault in 2 minutes and seen his face when i asked for the grand pmsl

Last i I heard he was being prosecuted for the death of a tree surgeon as he hadn't located the fault at the said property, which also turned out to be a faulty leaf.

I suppose there's a couple of questions which should be asked right at the start.

1) Is there a good reason for replacing the distribution board currently in place?
2) If so, is a 17th edition split load suitable, or would RCBOs be more appropriate?

RCBOs for me now, the Denmans Curve range are pretty good and lots of room in them too. Reasonably priced only about £20 more then a Wyler fully loaded with 6 RCBOs included in the price.

Reply to Before you change a distribution board in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net