Discuss Best route into electrics? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

V

viking10

Hi all.Im currently working as a groundworker on the railway.Ive been thinking about getting into electrics for some time now and wondering what is the best way to do it.At 27 im too old for an apprenticeship,I live in West London.Been looking at college courses which give the c&g 2330 award but they take 2 years and also while in college 2 days a week I cant apply to agencies/firms for work as no one wants someone who can only give a 3 day week.I came across an ableskills course which gives the same award(2330) in 8 weeks but is very expensive.So I am thinking to do this course or the olci one and then try and get a start as a mate and take it from there.What I am asking is this course enough to geta start as a mate and has anyone on the forum gone down a similar route.Thanks in advance for any advice or help lads

usual route was
2330 levels 1,2,3 either day or evening study over 2-3 years
2356 nvq level 3 (practical side to complete your 2330 theory side)
2381 wiring regs
2391 testing

exam route is currently undergoing a change and 2330/nvq3 to be rolled into one new qualification which can only be taken by people working in the industry.

to be able to get classed as fully qualified before the change you need 2330 and nvq so getting these as quick as possible would be an advantage 2382 and 2391 can be bolted on at any time.

all of which means nothing without the experience

dont agree with fast track coursees theres just to much to learn however given the current changes coming it may be your best option.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers ezeqiel.When you say the exams are changing and 2330 and nvq being rolled into one and only open to people already in the industry-surely this will make it nigh on impossible to get into electrics as you cant get a start without qualifications?

Dont spend out on the "teach a toddler with a paper aeroplane into an astronought" course in x days

Your better doing the 17th edition regulations exam,that may get you a mates job and do the college route when you can whilst getting experience

VIKING10- I am in roughly the same situation as you, im 26 and looking to get into the trade so i am starting a part time college course 2 nights a week for the next 2 years as i still need a full time job to pay for everything. Just want to say thanks for your thread as i have taken some good advice from what has been said and totally agree with u, how are people who dont have the experience get a chance to gain it.

VIKING10- I am in roughly the same situation as you, im 26 and looking to get into the trade so i am starting a part time college course 2 nights a week for the next 2 years as i still need a full time job to pay for everything. Just want to say thanks for your thread as i have taken some good advice from what has been said and totally agree with u, how are people who dont have the experience get a chance to gain it.

thats one of the big issues with the new course as it could stop a lot of good people of all ages post 19 getting into the trade and i for one feel that is a great shame as it then only leaves the route for the so called 5 day wonder courses to mop up and take advantage of the position. i know the 2330 was not ideal but at least it gave you he chance of getting a qualification you could build on in the future. des`s idea was a good one as at least it may get you a foot in the door way and maybe allow you to get the experience, although there is a lot of competition out there with people with experience and quals that are struggling to find work

i followed the same route nightclasses and struggled on the experience side but my break finally came and now with all the correct qualifications in place you feel much better and hold a wealth more of understanding - yes its a struggle but it pays off in the long run

Viking10, as you are already on the railways have you thought of going on the underground as a mate. There are plenty of agencies out there. You need to get your LU pass but I expect youve got all the other trackside passes. I worked down there on nights for a few months and very few of the mates had any quals. Also if your doing nights itll free you up to do 2 days a week at college.

As for doing a paid course or not, I think you get the same amount of time in the classroom and workshop with them both. And if you pay for it you have smaller class sizes so more time with the teacher. That said, to me the only way you learn is on the job.

Good luck!

Reply to Best route into electrics? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net