Discuss Broken Pin on Motorcycle CDI unit in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

James_b

DIY
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm looking for a bit of friendly advice whilst trying to fix my motorbikes cdi unit. One of the pins corroded and came off and i was hoping to find the location of this pin on the pcb, solder a wire onto it and bypass it. I've cut through the protective outer layer and located 36 pins which corresponds to the number of pins in the connector. When I probe any of these pins with my continuity tester I'm getting a signal, I'm not really sure what that means. My question is, is there a way with a multimeter or the continuity tester to identify which of these pins on the PCB links with the broken pin?

I would appreciate any help as I really am lacking experience. My dad was an electronic engineer and I've got some basic knowledge/ soldering skills but I really wish I had listened more when he was still with us.

Many thanks,

James

Can you extract the pcb from the plastic housing?

If the connector follows conventional layout, the missing pin corresponds to the one marked below (sorry about wobbly finger!)
The row of pins nearest the pcb surface, ie the upper row in your second pic, form the row nearest the edge of the board, and so on.
If you use a multimeter on ohms range you should be able to check zero ohms (ish) between the two. There may be other very low resistances, or indeed other pins connected to this one, so not a foolproof method.
If you can find a circuit diagram on a relevant forum, that might confirm.

IMG_0469.jpeg

Reply to Broken Pin on Motorcycle CDI unit in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net