Discuss building control in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

switched on

hi i have now completed my college course my city ang guilds 2330 level 3 but just need to do my nvq3. Some close friends are doing a job through building regs its a rewire plus a big extension. i have heard that i am competent to do the work and then get building control to sign it off. Has anyone done it this way? Usually i get my friend to sign it off as he is napit registered but they don't want to do it that way. What will building control want to see 1st fix then second or just a final test etc? A bit more info would be brilliant thanks for your help in advance

They are a law onto themselves and you would need to check with your LABC the only thing they have in common is they all want money of you.

Yes they should turn up for first fix etc etc, when I enquired of my LABC they asked was I competent to complete EIC on hearing the answer yes all they wanted was a copy of my completed certificate and of course the money.

Hope that helps

Chris

Just to add to that, mine didn't even ask for a certificate.

If your napit mate is happy to do it I would really push them for this: it's going to save them between 1 and 200 quid and most importantly it won't line the pockets of LABC. Explain to them it's exactly the same, Napit inform building control and you get all the same paperwork, but you don't have to shell out for some moron who doesn't have a clue about electrical installation to sit on his backside and pretend he is doing something important.

last time i rang mine they wanted 150 to inform, and i have been told one of the guys who comes out that is Not electrically biased is a real pain trying to tell the sparks who was doing it day in day out how to do it, he just does commercial now. your probably better off with a scheme provider if you are going to register a few a year to be honest.

Just a quickie regarding your certs to the LABC,

Mate of mine told me that a mate of his had a call from the Inland rev,
they wanted to know where the invoices where for the work he had signed off to the council,
2 consumer unit changes & a rewire!
I knew this was a paper trail back to the tax man as soon as part Pee came into force.
Has anyone else heard of this happening?

I did warn a mate of mine of this a few years ago when he said he was going to sign off some of his trusted mates work. he said i will do al-right 80 a chuck for doing it. he thought i was being paranoid with regard to the paper trail. didn`t when he was asked to supply figures for all those re - wires he had notified but not declaired :( didn`t need to say i told you so to him.

I did warn a mate of mine of this a few years ago when he said he was going to sign off some of his trusted mates work. he said i will do al-right 80 a chuck for doing it. he thought i was being paranoid with regard to the paper trail. didn`t when he was asked to supply figures for all those re - wires he had notified but not declaired :( didn`t need to say i told you so to him.

Thank's Phil, that makes two of us that "aren't" paranoid any longer but now know the facts. :)

For those that may not be aware our good friends in the Inland Revenue also read through the locals for new ads then cross refer to their own list.

So if you are not registered your next quote could be to the revenue:eek:

Chris

All good stuff to consider..

Paper work mean evidence
No paperwork means no evidence only hearsay.

Proof for safety is obviously a good thing but where do you draw the line for your business in hard times.

Inland rev with there IR test (Income resistance) worrying for the cash junkie.. :confused:

Any of us would prob prefer the fist option and be covered but if it means that 30% kills your business do you want to be in the dole line up...

Pound notes are the way forward.....................................................

If only! I tried to pay for my van and the wifes car in cash, neither garage wanted to know. tried to pay for holiday last year, same problem. Apparently its to do with money laundering........cobblers, its so the HMRC can keep track of us. I had to pay by debit card for all the transactions.

If only! I tried to pay for my van and the wifes car in cash, neither garage wanted to know. tried to pay for holiday last year, same problem. Apparently its to do with money laundering........cobblers, its so the HMRC can keep track of us. I had to pay by debit card for all the transactions.

I would have started walking away, mate. I bet they'd soon change their tune....

interesting as i never thought of that line of things if im doing re wirtes etc. I am going self employed so this is going to be legal! Just i haven't got the funds to sign up to a scheme and don't all schemes require the nvq3? So if i was going to do the building regs route would i inform them, they come inspect but who tests the installation do i test it then give them the results or do they do it as im not with a scheme??
Thanks alot

A DIYer can us building control as far as I know.

You need a domestic installer qualification to get on the ELECSA scheme and they give you one year to get your BS7671 regs Qualification after your on the scheme.

Minimum assessment is CCU change.

I guess this maybe why your customer prefers to use LABC and if your self certifying using LABC its easy for them to just take the money.

If I were paying LABC I'd want them to take responsibility and Test and Inspect isn't that what they should do and what they are there for.

Last edited by a moderator:
on the subject of notifying BC, at tho mo i am not on a scheme and am building a portfolio for initial assesment, a plumber friend of has ask me to do the wiring on a coupke of boiler changes, my question is do i still need to notify BC seeing as he will be notifying them as the boiler is notifiable and he is gas safe registered.

If he is qualified to cert your work ( I would think not ) if not a LABC inspector has to test, inspect and certify it.

Last edited by a moderator:
but i mean whould i have to pay £150 to BC to notify or would his notification of the boiler change cover it?
i would do an installation test anyway and then it is up to BC if they want to test it or accept my results

Reply to building control in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net