Discuss burglar alarm!!!! in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

i=p/u

-
Arms
Reaction score
hi all looking into installing a burglar alarm for my sister, im 2nd year apprentice , do you think id be able to install 1, and what brands would you reccomend and any good sites to purchase.. do they come with wiring diagrams.... they try break in last night..... just know the go to fused spur to unit, then from unit to box then, head off on all directions .... any good kits out there....

Last edited:
If i was going to fit one for myself i would go wireless, but it would be sensible to do a transmitter test first to check that the radio signal can reach all parts of the house. I know a guy who fits them and he uses THESE for most of his stuff. Wired ones in a kit are fairly simple once you have read the instructions the pain is the cabling and the size of the terminations - need to be young and have good eyesight lol.

they have a cat would this bypass movement from the cat, also thanks for replying , and would you reccomend wireless, how would you check radio signal. theres alot of work in conseeling in walls too if go with wired to mains, isnt there,,

You can get special sensors that discriminate between small animals and humans. With wired most people tend to just surface mount in corners but there is still drilling. Think a test transmitter kit is around the ÂŁ90 mark but not sure but at least you can use it again and again - could be a sideline for you. The guy i know once he does one in a street he gives out a clever little leaflet to everyone else in the street saying he has fitted an alarm at no 22 and what to do if it goes off ie look out your window and note any unusual car numbers but don't confront a burglar. Brings him loads of extra business! Personally i'm not convinced that sensible security and a dog aren't the best measures to prevent break-ins.

thanks , now i just need to find one of these alarms that are pet friendly. how do the rate in , if someone was rip off all , can they disarm easily thankkkk youuuu

if you want something cheap and simple,go for wireless,the yale stuff is good for diy and easy to fit,and its half decent kit to be honest,dont bother with a radio test kit unless the house is a big old stone built thing with damp walls,it will work no problem

aye thanks, spoke with cef today and they gonna sell mains powerd one, pannel and key pad ÂŁ45 batteryÂŁ6, pir's ÂŁ11 each, 100m alarm cable ÂŁ11, sounderf/strobeÂŁ25 would i be right in sayiong all i need now is fused spur and some 2.5 T&e,

can i just add into lighting circuit at origin , thanks

Optima G4 it is an updated unit of a 30 year old original Optima the manuals are ok to understand if you want a copy send me your email

Forgot to add that you can buy a complete kit that includes pet tolerant pir,s

Last edited by a moderator:
aye thanks, spoke with cef today and they gonna sell mains powerd one, pannel and key pad ÂŁ45 batteryÂŁ6, pir's ÂŁ11 each, 100m alarm cable ÂŁ11, sounderf/strobeÂŁ25 would i be right in sayiong all i need now is fused spur and some 2.5 T&e,

can i just add into lighting circuit at origin , thanks

i think you would be better with the wireless kit for ease of installation..

only on my 2nd year, 2330-5 is where im at now, so sorry if using you s learning curve,, aint looked at alarms before but im sure after i do 1 it be under my belt, i am appreciative of your replys

only on my 2nd year, 2330-5 is where im at now, so sorry if using you s learning curve,, aint looked at alarms before but im sure after i do 1 it be under my belt, i am appreciative of your replys

thats why a wireless kit might be better for your first install,then move on to wired,its all a learning curve,the more you do the better you get at doing it..

Don't be fooled.
Don't put complete faith into a wireless alarm system. If you dont have the test kit for it and the house has solid brick walls then dont bother. The kit is expensive aswell, for anything half decent. Quicker engineers install.
Go with a wired system. I would recommend the Honeywell Accenta Mini panel with remote keypad (RKP). You will be able to pick the panel and RKP for around ÂŁ40. The battery for around ÂŁ10. Speak to your supplier about good quality pet tollerent PIR's, a couple of flush or surface door contacts and an internal speaker. Finally a bell box. I personally prefer to fit the Pyronix Deltabell Plus. It looks smart at night with the backlight. Some people think it's a little OTT but at least it draws attention to the intall (it can be turned off if the customer doesnt like it). They will be around ÂŁ30.
For you average house its a great wee panel. Simple to install and program. All in the Engineers Manual.
Overall a wired system is more reliable. Something you want it an alarm system, obviously.

if your unsure get your freind to help you, i personaly would of done it on my own after heavy research.
only because i like the satisfaction of knowing that i did it and could do it again and charge people but also you can't learn without making mistakes and mistakes are what freinds and family are for when they want something done for very little.

defo wirless is way to go pay for a half decent one yale are fine its worth it yep you can bypass the moggi have only had signal problems once and that was a huge hall with walls 5-6ft in places should not have a problem mate

wireless i s easier, quicker. no probs with wireless signal in the average house. try risco.co.uk. comlete kit, including 6 detectors ( order pet tolerant PIRs) ÂŁ209+vat. that's everything bar cable which you need to hard wire the bell and the keypad.

Reply to burglar alarm!!!! in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net