Discuss Buzzing dimmer and LED lamps in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Morning chaps!

Advice needed please. Is there a tried and tested combination of manufacturer(s) for reducing the annoying buzz from dimmer connected (dimmable!) LED lamps?

In the particular example I am having right now, I have 5 lamps on one dimmer switch, 3x ES and 2x SES. One or more of the lamps routinely makes quite an audible buzz. However it tends to be random which one of the lamps is making a noticeable buzz. Client has tried various combinations of lamps including cheapo and expensive.

Circuit checked and passes insulation testing (>2M), R1+R2 is as expected for the length of run of 1.5mm2.

The dimmer itself does make a low buzz, but they all do, right?

Anyone experienced this before?

Thanks in advance :)

Varilight where the firsts dimmers made for leds and have always used them i remmember when leds first came out and put in leds in kitchen dinner and put in mk dimmer it was like a disco when you turned down the ligthts i rang up mk. they told me are dimmers dont work on leds charp.

Have you tried Zano?

These are my go to for LED dimming, use with Philips DimTone lamps.

Depending on the size of the install a Mode dimming panel is always a good choice, obviously depending on budget etc.

Check the wattage of the dimmer switch, there may be a minimum wattage too. if you change one of the lamps to a higher wattage incandescent lamp it may fix your problem.

We have in the conservatory a varilight pro soft start trailing edge dimmer controlling 20 Saxby LED ceiling downlights - not a murmur at any % light level. I don't know the power rating of the dimmer and don't want to crack the paint around it to find out. Varilight have a help line number: 01293 851563
[automerge]1568644378[/automerge]

Last edited:
Hi, look on the dimmer paperwork or go to their website and it will tell you what lights it has been tested with. Dont mix lamps on same circuit as that can also cause issues. Never use cheap drivers as they will increase dirt on line and cause issues more issues. Buying cheap is never a good long term solution and can create loads of intermittent problems.

Morning chaps!

Advice needed please. Is there a tried and tested combination of manufacturer(s) for reducing the annoying buzz from dimmer connected (dimmable!) LED lamps?

In the particular example I am having right now, I have 5 lamps on one dimmer switch, 3x ES and 2x SES. One or more of the lamps routinely makes quite an audible buzz. However it tends to be random which one of the lamps is making a noticeable buzz. Client has tried various combinations of lamps including cheapo and expensive.

Circuit checked and passes insulation testing (>2M), R1+R2 is as expected for the length of run of 1.5mm2.

The dimmer itself does make a low buzz, but they all do, right?

Anyone experienced this before?

Thanks in advance :)

I always go for professional services.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Buzzing dimmer and LED lamps in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock