Discuss Calculating volt drop, cable selection and mcb selection on an 3kw motor in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

ok here i go :

For deign current : 36.1 A

In : 40A

Ok..... here goes...

Ca : 35 oc...... : factor of 0.94....table 4b1 ?
Cg : 0.82........table 4C1 ???

so ...It = 50.8 A ...????

Im lost as to where i go from here....

I can do the volt drop calc....but i cant suss how to find the correct table for the cable selection ?

Thanks

you set sum out for me and paste orig question in too. thank you if you could aint done 3phase before

The question is in post #49

The question is about a 25KW 400V heater.

Ib -

Ib = Power / SQUARE ROOT of three x Uo = 36.1 A

In = Greater than Ib = 40A breaker

It : = In / Cg = 40 / 0.82 (table 4c1) ......It = 48.78 A

(these values have changed)

Cable : 4mm cable (Table 4G1A , column 9) ?????????????????

If your talking about load balancing over phases.....then....Yeah...kind of...but that would be in the inititial design of the heater itself......not considered during the heater installation...

Seeing as it a three phase supply...You consider that the load in q has already been balanced by the Maker of it.

Installers may need to consider balancing when installing single phase items...into a premesis that uses/ are provided by three phases...( ie,, three single phase (identical heaters) would be installed on a phase each ?

Correct me on this if im wrong though guys..

Ib = Power / SQUARE ROOT of three x Uo = 36.1 A

is that per phase?

The 36.1A figure is the design current for each line (L1, L2, L3) it is not a total value that is then shared between 3 cables if that is what you are asking:)

edit : you have to be a little careful with terminology because the phase current (Ip) only equals the line current (Il) when connected in star. If in delta, as it would most likely be in a motor, then Il = √3* Ip

When designing for cable size it is just the line current that you are interested in.

A complex subject (which i am rapidly forgetting:eek:) but just to be aware that phase current and line current are slightly different and are not always the same value.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
The 36.1A figure is the design current for each line (L1, L2, L3) it is not a total value that is then shared between 3 cables if that is what you are asking:)

edit : you have to be a little careful with terminology because the phase current (Ip) only equals the line current (Il) when connected in star. If in delta, as it would most likely be in a motor, then Il = √3* Ip

When designing for cable size it is just the line current that you are interested in.

A complex subject (which i am rapidly forgetting:eek:) but just to be aware that phase current and line current are slightly different and are not always the same value.:)

Much better explanation than mine...:)

Reply to Calculating volt drop, cable selection and mcb selection on an 3kw motor in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net