Discuss Certificate for kitchen extraction fan in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jdp

Hi everyone.
I have a problem.
An electrician installed a new kitchen extraction fan and smoke alrm in my kitchen.
he got the electricity from a switch above the worktop which switches a 2 point socket on and off under the worktop to with the dishwasher is connected.
he installed a new small box with a fuse above the switch and then a switch for the fan above that.
he then send me after weeks of nagging a certificate.
it has no reference number and when I questioned it he said it is good enough.
he did admit that he has not registered the job , but insists the cerfificate is OK .
the kitchen is part of a new extension and we need some sort of certificate befor getting the building inspector in.
Is. It illegal for him to present me with a certificate that means nothing and not registered.
he also wants to charge me Ā£150 for the certificate.
all that was tested was the airflow volume.
i cannot seem to get him to give me a certificate with a number that I can look up on the web.
Is this right?

it's minor works, not notifiable. and i hope he's NOT fitted a smoke alarm in a kitchen. every time you cook bacon , it will activate.

You should have received a minor works certificate. The cost of issuing the certificate should have been included in the price you agreed for the job before he started work.

As Tel said, a smoke alarm in a kitchen is a very bad idea. It's going to go off constantly, get it changed for a heat detector.
The certificate you have is not the appropriate one for the job. It should be a minor works certificate, any electrician worth his salt would have no trouble supplying one of these.

Why didn't the electrician who carried out the electrical work in the extension do the extractor fan and smoke alarm ( yes change for heat)? Did you get a certificate for that work?

Reply to Certificate for kitchen extraction fan in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net