Discuss Extract fan testing - LABC in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Can anyone help me on this please 😉

Just finished off recent new build.... LABC have requested:

1. F1 - The extract fans require testing. Please provide a copy

of the extract fan test results for our file showing they achieve

the minimum extraction rates as installed.

Never been asked for this before, does anyone have a template please for showing my results ?
Best I get on amazon and also find an airflow meter 🙄

Thanks Sy

New builds have required testing for a while now.
Extract airflow and air tightness and also noise if semi or a flat

I suspect you'll need more that an airflow meter.
You'll need the testing to be done by a UKAS accredited company.

Never been asked for this before, does anyone have a template please for showing my results ?
Best I get on amazon and also find an airflow meter 🙄
Found this:
and
As per Snowhead, I see:
The tests must be undertaken using UKAS calibrated equipment and should be conducted by an engineer registered with a competent scheme with respect to "domestic ventilation technologies". Where the engineer undertaking the testing is not registered a 25% penalty will be applied within SAP.

Last edited:
I'm sure CEF had a big banner on their site a week or so ago re a new change coming in imminently requiring fan testing, but I only glanced at it and can't find it on their site at all now.

Surely if it's a new build and a new fan it should come with a certificate to confirm it meets requirements (if installed to their MI) Or are we expected to do the QA for manufacturers now?

Coming soon - the Part F domestic ventilation installer scheme, only £600 a year...🤪

Surely if it's a new build and a new fan it should come with a certificate to confirm it meets requirements (if installed to their MI) Or are we expected to do the QA for manufacturers now?
I suppose it's to do with the run of ducting as much as the fan itself.

PITA that you gotta show proof of testing, but I can sort of see why they're doing this. Always seeing badly installed extractors that aren't doing their job because there's 15m of flexi duct hanging off them.

I suppose it's to do with the run of ducting as much as the fan itself.

PITA that you gotta show proof of testing, but I can sort of see why they're doing this. Always seeing badly installed extractors that aren't doing their job because there's 15m of flexi duct hanging off them.
Thats why I say installed to MI - which should really give a maximum run of ducting to still comply, though I'm not sure I've seen that in any of the ones I've recently installed.

I can see some sort of benefit in the cases you describe - but then what are the chances of anything else being installed correctly in a place like that. So this certificate will just be faked by the bad installers and noone from the LABC is ever going to check.

Meanwhile the standard of fans seems to have got worse over time, with smaller cheaper terminals and electronics even on the mid range stuff (I avoid the very cheapest).

New builds have required testing for a while now.
Extract airflow and air tightness and also noise if semi or a flat

I suspect you'll need more that an airflow meter.
You'll need the testing to be done by a UKAS accredited company.
I've passed back to the builder ..... bit beyond me! Tissue paper test about my limit 😆

That's easily sorted. Just leave the ducting disconnected with the fan extracting straight into the loft.
Seen plenty like that, so it seems a common solution.
Yeah, you do see a few like this. Doesn't seem to cause problems in well ventilated lofts, but definitely does in old unventilated ones with bitumen underfelt.

The extractor at my mate's house was venting straight into the floor void above, and had been for ~20 years since the house was built 😂

Seriously guys what's the impact of part f? I do a fair bit of refurb, when part f came in 10 years ago the BC inspectors were running around talking about test certs for fans then it went quiet, but I gather it's the next thing now?

Cant find much online except the typical self-satisfied legalise you find on government documents.

Had a client mention the BC criticised the utility extractor hole size on a job (4") and doubts it'll achieve 30l/s... The utility is 3Mx1M FFS, a happy shopper £10 special will change the air every 5 minutes.

Reply to Extract fan testing - LABC in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net