Discuss Colour Standard To Following Terminating Cat5E To Rj45 Jacks? in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Leigh Duffy

Hi guys,

I hope somebody may be able to help me out. I've installed wiring for a home network in Cat5e, running cables to most rooms and terminating in modular outlets.
These terminations can be seen here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ifgub477l19om7/IMAG0186.jpg
and I have matched the 8x cores of the Cat5e to their respective colours.
At the other, central, end of each run I want to terminate the cable straight into RJ45 jacks which I intend to plug directly into an 8-port switch hidden in our cloakroom.

I am wondering in what order the 8x cables need to be terminated into each RJ45 jack to ensure the connections are consistent with (i) the data signals being sent from the switch and (ii) the data transmitted from the wall module via ethernet cable to the device?
I have looked at two ethernet cables I have at home and their orders, from left to right as viewed with cable clip facing downwards, are:

• orange/white, orange, blue/white, blue, green/white, green, brown/white, brown
Comparing this to the implied order of the module:

• blue, orange, green, brown
this is not consistent, and also there is no differentiation on the module between 'colour' and 'colour/white' and so I am wondering how to terminate the RJ45-end of the cable to be consistent with this. I am uncertain if there is a colour convention or wiring standard that I can follow to ensure my home network is compatible and able to communicate with my devices? Is the order of all 8 cores critical, or does a LAN communicate through these e.g. in pairs, with the order of the 4 colour-pairs not essential?

Any pointers in the right direction with this would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Leigh.

That's the 568 B configuration so the RJ45 will be as follows

white / orange
orange
white / green
blue
white / blue
green
white / brown
brown

google 568B and there will be diagrams etc.

Last edited:
Many thanks for your prompt reply Sintra; I had not been aware of those standards so the information is very useful.
Having just researched briefly I note that there is also a 568A standard; would I now have to ensure that all off the patch cables used to connect my wall outlets to devices follow that wiring convention, or does this not matter? In essence are 568A and 568B commpatible in any application?
Thanks again,
Best Wishes,
Leigh.

Both ends of your patch panel cords should follow either the 568A or 568B i.e. you cannot have 568A one end and 568B the other side.

Depending on the speed not all the pairs are utilised, so e.g. 100Mbit only 2 pairs are used, higher speeds utilise all the pairs. 5e wiring uses 2 pairs.

You should stick to one convention that way it's less confusing, 568A was supposed to be used for horizontal runs and B for vertical runs. Don't ask me why just some trivia I know.

There is an exception to this rule and the cable is known as a crossover cable but from your description you will not need it as it will confuse you.

So to answer your question yes it's fine. I hope that helps.

Hi just saw your photo on drop box.

That's the connector box so you need to terminate the correct colour to its corresponding position. E.g. Green will go into the block coloured fully green..green/white will go into block coloured half green half white.

The RJ45 plug should be terminated either A or B standard, I use A with the tab on the plug facing down. The block detects whether you have A or B on your plug.

Last edited:
pmanku thanks for your information, its much appreciated.
I'm happy to hear that either can be used as I was worried that I had to ensure compatibility with the wall outlet connectors. I hadn't realised the device detected the cabling standard when it is plugged in. So providing that I stick to one standard, the device will auto-detect the standard regardless of the format of its patch cable?
Thanks again, Leigh

568a and 568b are the 2 standards used in most communications of cat5e
if you have 568a and 568b on the same cable it is a crossover cable and should be labeled so
a crossover cable is used to directly connect 2 computers or network devices without using a hub.
this is an isolated network connection between the two devices
as a network tech i have a few of these made up in different lengths and labeled at both ends.
crossover cables can be a very valuable tool for network drive duplication or net install between 2 computers

Hi just saw your photo on drop box.

The RJ45 plug should be terminated either A or B standard, I use A with the tab on the plug facing down. The block detects whether you have A or B on your plug.

This is incorrect, the block will not detect if the RJ45 is terminated either 568A or B. The standard in the UK is 568B. If the outlets were bought in the UK, they will be either colour coded 568B or Dual 568A+B. You must terminate the RJ45 free end with the same standard as the outlet. Or it will simply not work as the orange pair and the green pair will be crossed.

Some switches can detect if you plug in a cross over cable or standard patch cable but not all equipment will (esp older kit).
The module you have in the picture looks like it shows the pair numbering rather then the pin numbers. Keep as happydundee says in the UK - 568B

Some switches can detect if you plug in a cross over cable or standard patch cable but not all equipment will (esp older kit).
The module you have in the picture looks like it shows the pair numbering rather then the pin numbers. Keep as happydundee says in the UK - 568B

correct regardless of how your patch cable is configured 568a or 568b unless a jack is equipped with a color sensitive optical sensor the equipment cant tell the difference.
older equipment will simply not communicate if a the wrong cable is used (for example using a patch cable as a crossover between two computers (no hub)simply wont work)
568a or 5685 is a wiring convention intended to standardise the installation throughout a facility.
its preferable that an industry standard is set to follow.
we use 568b here as well

Reply to Colour Standard To Following Terminating Cat5E To Rj45 Jacks? in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net