Discuss Commercial unit lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

highspark

First of all what are those internal warehouse lights called.... Those big square boxes which house son lamps. I can not for the life of me remember... Are they metal halide fittings.

Anyway I'm quoting to replace those. At present there is 10 of them lighting the workshop area. However they are using son lamps that beam that dim orange colour. He has requested for the workshop area to be brightened up... He wants the light to be as close as possible to "daylight".

Can I get daylight bulbs to go in existing fittings....

Also what are the best daylight fittings on the market suitable to a large commercial workshop... Has anyone done anybody these recently....

Links or descriptions, appreciated greatly

The yellow lamps are Sodium filled and the metal halide use metal or mercury halides to work.

Unfortunately as far as I know the firing mechanisms are different and you can't inter change them. If I remember right there use to be a cross over kit that could be fitted, but not sure if this is still available.

Have you looked at LED lamps for this?

Your talking about low bay light fittings and you can get a metal halide lamp ( White light) that will work in your sodium fitting (orange light). We have used them a lot where like you, the clients want the place brighter. If I remember correctly the code for the lamps are HTE by GE.

Dont forget to check weather the lamps are internal or external ignitors and 250W or 400W.

Sent from my Xperia S using next doors WIFI

Customer probably doesn't want to fork out the dosh, but what about new Fluorescent low bays with daylight tubes.

Will save him a bob or two on his leccy bills

Venture make metal halide lamps that will go straight in them. Iv replaced plenty over the years mainly in places were they make windows as the orange glow hides faults. The control gear should be fine, open one fitting and see if its got a choke, starter and capacitor in it. If so just unscrew the old lamp and replace. Make sure you get the same wattage. Also the metal halide have difference brightnesses ask you supplier for daylight ones. Also don't pay over £18 some suppliers take the mick. TLC supply them if you want to order online.

cef do a 32w and a 60w led lamp. you disconnect all the gear and just take mains to lampholder there £100 + so for a few quid more you could prob get the new t5 low bays with extra life lamps which are suppossed to last as long as led

just priced a job this week for 20 very simliar but 4x80w. changed 30 the other year customer well pleased beat the hell out of his old son fittings

Reply to Commercial unit lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net