Discuss CU Height in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

walsall

Evening All,
On a full refurbishment project which has 'client-expanded'since it was started I now need to get a two row CU as the number of circuitshave increased significantly. This is going in a cloakroom cupboard on a wallunderneath two ABB automation enclosures. Now that it's two row, the bottom of the board will only be 820mm fromthe floor. I’m not really pleased about this, but there is no real alternative.I can’t see anything in the regs which prevents me, but I guess it’s quite lowfor small children etc. Any views on this?

I could put locks on the front panels, but that’s a faffif the lights have gone out!

What have small children got to do with it? The board will be correctly installed so that they cannot make contact with live parts won't it? the worst they can do is turn things off.

The 2013 version of Approved Document P points out that one way of complying with Part M in new dwellings is to mount consumer units so that the switches are between 1350mm and 1450mm above floor level. At this height, the consumer unit is out of reach of young children yet accessible to other people when standing or sitting. Neither should it be placed in a position where is likely to be damaged by impact.

Part M heights are only guidance for new builds, extensions, structural refurbs and change of use. Part M does go on to say that where a re-wire is concerned accessories may be re-sited at the existing heights as long as the installation is in no worse a condition with regards to compliance than before you started.

Last edited:
The 2013 version of Approved Document P points out that one way of complying with Part M in new dwellings is to mount consumer units so that the switches are between 1350mm and 1450mm above floor level. At this height, the consumer unit is out of reach of young children yet accessible to other people when standing or sitting. Neither should it be placed in a position where is likely to be damaged by impact.

Part M heights are only guidance for new builds, extensions, structural refurbs and change of use. Part M does go on to say that where a re-wire is concerned accessories may be re-sited at the existing heights as long as the installation is in no worse a condition with regards to compliance than before you started.

I had read that -which is where they mentioned small children. On balance I’m going to go with it, as there is no reasonable alternative and in any case it’s better than what was there originally, which was 6 inches off the floor behind a gas pipe in the cupboard under the stairs!

Thanks All

Last edited by a moderator:
I had read that -which is where they mentioned small children. On balance I’m going to go with it, as there is no reasonable alternative and in any case it’s better than what was there originally, which was 6 inches off the floor behind a gas pipe in the cupboard under the stairs!

Thanks All
you could always get a board with a built in lock, they have the option of locking it if they like then if kids are a problem

820mm from the floor is nearly countertop height, it's not that low. I'd wouldn't say it was a safety issue under normal circumstances, it may just be an annoyance if kids turn things off. You could always discuss it with the client, explain the pros and cons and let them decide.

What have small children got to do with it? The board will be correctly installed so that they cannot make contact with live parts won't it? the worst they can do is turn things off.

I really dislike the quarter-turn plastic screws some boards have. A child could get into them without much hassle. I think main cover screws should be torx heads and have a fairly long thread on them.

And all stickers on a DB should be in monochrome, none of these yellow stickers to draw a child's attention!!! Haha!

Last edited:
I really dislike the quarter-turn plastic screws some boards have. A child could get into them without much hassle. I think main cover screws should be torx heads and have a fairly long thread on them.

And all stickers on a DB should be in monochrome, none of these yellow stickers to draw a child's attention!!! Haha!

I dislike them because they are crap, and whenever I encounter them they have been mullered to hell by some idiot.

As for children getting in to fuseboards, I think parents need to take a bit more care of their children if they are allowing them access to the fuseboard in the first place.

Put a booster seat in there wheelchair

Sorry Mr & Mrs Smith, due to part M of the building regulations I don't have to locate your consumer unit in an accessible place due to your current dwelling not being a new build! Here's a booster seat! Compliments of the company! Doubt that would go down well

In the attic by eves would be lovely

Doubt you'd get the job! But...??
ddf3b183648979a058b65726c529a7ae.jpg

Sorry Mr & Mrs Smith, due to part M of the building regulations I don't have to locate your consumer unit in an accessible place due to your current dwelling not being a new build! Here's a booster seat! Compliments of the company! Doubt that would go down well 
Sorry cotty's mam and dad I'm afraid your son was born with a sense of humour deficiency, I think if he continues posting on electricians forum he will get over it ��

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you say the same to a customer who was disabled!?

A disabled person local to here who is a wheelchair user said pretty much that about part m heights etc. They had their own house built and wanted everything at the normal heights, building control accepted this but the nhbc jobsworths refused to accept it!

A disabled person local to here who is a wheelchair user said pretty much that about part m heights etc. They had their own house built and wanted everything at the normal heights, building control accepted this but the nhbc jobsworths refused to accept it!

Please elaborate! They had their own house built and wanted everything at normal heights! ?

Please elaborate! They had their own house built and wanted everything at normal heights! ?

I don't know the full details, it's something my dad told me about when I was an apprentice. It was one of his colleagues who dealt with it (he was a building control officer)
But basically yes, the guy thought the new heights looked ridiculous and after living in houses with normal height sockets for years he didn't want to change.
I think there was also an element of not wanting the government dictating how he must have his house built.

I don't know the full details, it's something my dad told me about when I was an apprentice. It was one of his colleagues who dealt with it (he was a building control officer)
But basically yes, the guy thought the new heights looked ridiculous and after living in houses with normal height sockets for years he didn't want to change.
I think there was also an element of not wanting the government dictating how he must have his house built.

I think we should all try to imagine what it'd be like to be disabled! Maybe some peoples views might change then!

Reply to CU Height in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net