Discuss CU recommend max height in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Doing a complete rewire on a domestic property. The client is adamant that he wants the consumer unit flush to the ceiling not complying with the 1350-1450mm requirement. I have shown him Approved Document M but he’s having none of it.
What would you do in this situation?

Doing a complete rewire on a domestic property. The client is adamant that he wants the consumer unit flush to the ceiling not complying with the 1350-1450mm requirement. I have shown him Approved Document M but he’s having none of it.
What would you do in this situation?
Part M only applies to new builds or new extensions.
And in any case if the client is the owner be can have it at whatever height be wants...

Part M only applies to new builds or new extensions.
And in any case if the client is the owner be can have it at whatever height be wants...
There is extensive modifications to the original building extra rooms relocation of kitchen etc, CU moved to utility room.
So as far as you are concerned it’s ok to mount it flush to the ceiling. I am not saying I disagree with you I just wanted to have opinions thanks for your’s

There is extensive modifications to the original building extra rooms relocation of kitchen etc, CU moved to utility room.
So as far as you are concerned it’s ok to mount it flush to the ceiling. I am not saying I disagree with you I just wanted to have opinions thanks for your’s
I’d be putting it up to the ceiling like the bloke paying wants. If the building inspector want it moving he will have to pay again

Where is it sighted at the moment? I’m pretty sure it should be no less accessible than where it was originally positioned.

Part M applies to 'newly erected dwellings' or 'dwellings undergoing material alteration'. (see section 0, vol 1, 0.2 of part M)

The definition of a material alteration can be seen in the building regulations part 2, regulation 3(1)c and 3(2) a and b (albeit the 2010 version):

A material alteration is an alteration where the work, or any part of it, would at any stage result:

- in a building or controlled service or fitting not complying with a relevant requirement where previously it did, or
- In a building or controlled service or fitting which before the work commenced did not comply with a relevant requirement, being MORE unsatisfactory in relation to such a requirement.

As usual it all sounds like a law book.

Basically, I read it as it cannot be any worse than it was before in relation to the building regulations. If the old CU was at 1450mm and you now intend to put it higher than that, that would not be OK. If it was already at ceiling height then it can stay there as it has not become MORE unsatisfactory.

Part M applies to 'newly erected dwellings' or 'dwellings undergoing material alteration'. (see section 0, vol 1, 0.2 of part M)

The definition of a material alteration can be seen in the building regulations part 2, regulation 3(1)c and 3(2) a and b (albeit the 2010 version):

A material alteration is an alteration where the work, or any part of it, would at any stage result:

- in a building or controlled service or fitting not complying with a relevant requirement where previously it did, or
- In a building or controlled service or fitting which before the work commenced did not comply with a relevant requirement, being MORE unsatisfactory in relation to such a requirement.

As usual it all sounds like a law book.

Basically, I read it as it cannot be any worse than it was before in relation to the building regulations. If the old CU was at 1450mm and you now intend to put it higher than that, that would not be OK. If it was already at ceiling height then it can stay there as it has not become MORE unsatisfactory.
Thanks for your input really appreciate it

Reply to CU recommend max height in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net