Discuss Dedicated earth on fridge compressor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Agreed but so is an unearthed metallic part of a refridgerator.
A valid point, but the poster is PA testing, and thus should be competent to carry out these tests, so would he not have confirmed Double insulation, prior to asking these questions? Makes you wonder.

yeah it doesnt mention its class 2 or have the symbol on the compressor anywhere.

so there isnt a law that states that compressors have to have an earth as per my image? it passes the PAT test, and i havent had any problems at all with earth bond tests on these fridges

Only Class II fridge I have ever seen are those small units which take a few bottles and are supplied by way of a reversible mains lead.

yeah it doesnt mention its class 2 or have the symbol on the compressor anywhere.

so there isnt a law that states that compressors have to have an earth as per my image? it passes the PAT test, and i havent had any problems at all with earth bond tests on these fridges
You keep harping on about compressors being earthed, if the fridge passes then what is the problem?

When you can see the earth lead as in your pic then it's obvious what the manufacturer has done. But only your tests will say if it's pass or fail :) .

Does sound like an "Apprentice-Prank" Question ,
Just drill a hole and fit self tapping bolt -- Into a pressure vessel .
--Shiny new earth strap -- But lost refrigerant ... + Leak
That would be a laugh wouldn't it drill a fixing hole in the hermetically sealed compressor (well not funny in reality)

The earth bond lead in the picture bonds across the resilient rubber mounts between the compressor and its mount, but on other models the same connection might be included in the compressor cable. Another area that usually has incoming earth connections is the evaporator with its defrost elements, thermostats and fan. A manufacturer might have taken a strap to the body from that area instead of the compressor. In any case as mentioned above, the refrigerant circuit will provide a solid copper connection between the two.

Reply to Dedicated earth on fridge compressor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net