Discuss Denmans Prices? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MBEINST

I have just lost a job because the customer thought I was trying to rip her off!

She wanted four new IP rated downlights in her bathroom. Four downlights in her lounge to replace some really old ones and her kitchen undercupboard 12v lighting changing to LED's.

Initially I thought that I would have to put new fittings in but after a trip to my friendly Denmans I was shown some 12v LED disc's which would do the job fine and save me a load of hassle.

Denmans quoted me £8.50 + VAT for the LED's and I needed 12. Price (8.50 * 1.2) * 12 = £122.40.

She has found the same LED discs on Amazon for £5.99 inc VAT, delivery and a 5 year warranty. This comes to £71.88 and she has now cancelled all of the work which I had quoted for on the grounds that I am over charging.

I have been back to Denmans this morning and explained that I am not happy about their pricing. The only explanation that could be offered was that 'You will always get things cheaper online'?

I'm really disappointed because I liked the fact that I could get everything in one place confident that I was getting a decent price.

Needless to say I won't be using Denmans again unless absolutely necessary.

Of course the internet only stores are cheaper, they don't need a store in a prominent position. Or lots of them, the personal service from a wholesaler is surely worth more than a faceless purchase.

and who's to say the amazon ones aren't cheap imports with a warranty not worth the paper? had similar years ago. bought enclosed floods for £12+VAT, vcustomer sees ad. i exchange & mart for same at £4.99, so he buys them from there, and what he got were cheap, flimsy, open floods, no lamps inc. made a right plonker of himself.

Anyone who has used Amazon will know that they have a no quibble money back policy on any goods which do not fulfill their description. This is something I have had cause to use on a couple of occasions and never had an issue.

I could have accepted a small mark up but 70% is outrageous.

Don't forget you won't be giving a warranty on any of the fittings so that brings the cost down too. It's only a 41% mark up on the fittings. Like I said in my other post wholesalers have more rental costs, staffing costs so will never be able to compete with them prices.

I have just lost a job because the customer thought I was trying to rip her off!

She wanted four new IP rated downlights in her bathroom. Four downlights in her lounge to replace some really old ones and her kitchen undercupboard 12v lighting changing to LED's.

Initially I thought that I would have to put new fittings in but after a trip to my friendly Denmans I was shown some 12v LED disc's which would do the job fine and save me a load of hassle.

Denmans quoted me £8.50 + VAT for the LED's and I needed 12. Price (8.50 * 1.2) * 12 = £122.40.

She has found the same LED discs on Amazon for £5.99 inc VAT, delivery and a 5 year warranty. This comes to £71.88 and she has now cancelled all of the work which I had quoted for on the grounds that I am over charging.

I have been back to Denmans this morning and explained that I am not happy about their pricing. The only explanation that could be offered was that 'You will always get things cheaper online'?

I'm really disappointed because I liked the fact that I could get everything in one place confident that I was getting a decent price.

I assume you won't be using any wholesalers then as they will all have a price tag that is more than on the WWW.

Amazon like other places sells a lot of third party stuff from people who are here today gone tomorrow and as good as you feel the Amazon warranty is I would doubt you would get a warranty claim unless Amazon can get it out of the original supplier

If your customer is so fickle do you really need that customer at least you didn't do the work and then get knocked back when it came to payment time

How do you know they are exactly the same ones?

Sort of customer you could well do without , imagine if she went ahead with you're quote and you carried out the job and before paying you found out these prices , I should imagine you would have problems with payment , how many times have I walked into a house only to find a screwfix catalogue on the table, pain in the neck some people ,,,

Good on Denmans for not stooping to internet wars. If they can't supply a product and make a profit then why should they make a loss to please you ?
As has been said, an overseas third party shipping direct from the factory with no overheads will always outstrip a wholesaler with 70 odd branches to pay for.
Just because you had a short sighted customer, don't let your own view be short sighted. If one of my customers wants to argue the ---- about material prices, they can go buy it themselves or get someone else in. No skin off my nose.
On to the next one.

Ive always found Denmans prices to be fair , better than some other wholesalers , what sparks is gonna go online every time they need materials , might as well have a look down the car boot on a sunday morning ,,,,

Andy,

Either you are having problems understanding plain english or you just didn't read the post. I never suggested that Denmans or anybody else should make a loss to please me.

"If they can't supply a product and make a profit then why should they make a loss to please you ? "

I merely stated my dissatisfaction with the extreme difference in price. I have always used Denmans and upto now been very happy with them and their prices. On this one occasion I had an issue with a price and went to query it.

It appears that I may have over reacted and hopefully the old battleaxe has bought her cheap internet LED's and they don't work. If this is the case and she calls me back I'll keep you posted.

Anyway as suggested she is probably a customer that I am better off without, even if work is tight at the moment.

Yeah you are right, she definitely sounded like a customer that was not worth the hassle.

I may have misunderstood your post, I just assumed you were moaning about denmans not price matching the internet price.

I have only been in a denmans once due to there not being one in my town. I went into one while working out of town a few weeks back though, and I got better prices as a walk in cash customer than i do on some of my usual accounts. Would certainly give them a go if they were closer to me.

I use to work for a solar wholesaler selling to all the rebels and city's there mark up can be well in the 100% region. Try find a small independent wholesaler who won't rip you off and will give you good prices :) Amazon / eBay / www. Is full of Chinese ****e. Is it really worth saving £10 to only be called back to site 3 weeks down the line.

Reply to Denmans Prices? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net