Discuss Dimmable Light Issues in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All. New member.

I have a perplexing issue which I am hoping someone might be able to help with.

I have two suspension lights which are installed. Both are relatively high-end LED. I have linked both of them below.

Arrangements Square Small lamp | Suspension | Flos - https://flos.com/products/pendant/arrangements/arrangements-square-small/

Vibia | Lampe Suspendue Palma - https://www.vibia.com/fr/int/lampes-suspendues-palma-lampe-suspendue

I have tried multiple dimmer switches. but keep on having the same issue. Flickering and buzzing. Clearly there is a wattage problem where the LEDs are being overloaded.

The first dimmer switch I tried was for incandescant I think, wattage was too high.

Rotary Dimmer Switch 60-400W
Controlled by potentiometer • PUSH-PUSH type connection • Power element: triac • Designed for charge connection: Conventional glow
Output voltage: ~ 230V -current: 10A -limitation of power: thermal circuit breaker with automatic reactivation

I then bought the following:

I was convinced one of these would work. They are low wattage switches specifically for LED dimmables. But I am having the same issues.

What could be causing this problem? I am really struggling here. It's not the lights themselves, or the bulbs. It has to be the dimmer switch surely? Can anyone recommend a solution?

Thank you in advance.

TL;DR
Dimmer Switch issues for dimmable LED suspension lights, flickering and buzzing
What you might have here, is a compatibility problem with the luminaire and dimmer switch, stating the obvious I know!

The last dimmer you've used, the Varilight, normally is compatible with most LED lamps. You could ring Varilight technical, to see if their could offer any guidance. Another make that seems to be boast trouble free LED dimming is Zano. You could ask them as well.

The tech spec says this:

SUSPENSION LIGHT 1
The electronics integrated in the rose enables use of dimming systems: push, 1-10, potentiometer, DALI. In the absence of these systems, the light flow can be set with the push system included in the rose.
Voltage 48V
Power 20W

SUSPENSION LIGHT 2
1-10V PUSH dimmable
2 × LED 4,6W 500mA

Luminaire 685.5 lm 74.51 lm/W

So the last Varilight switch should work for both as I understand it?
Product Description: 2-Gang 2-Way Push-On/Off Rotary LED Dimmer 2 x 0-120W (1-10 LEDs)

The Varilight V-Pro has 3 modes. Mode 1 = trailing edge, mode 2 = leading edge, mode 3 = alternative trailing edge. Default is mode 1. I had an issue with some LED lamps flickering in mode 1, changing to mode 3 sorted it. See instructions on how.
[automerge]1573492590[/automerge]
The tech specs say the voltage should be 48v
Have you connected this to 230v?
Looks like the driver is in the ceiling rose:
BIG ROSE100-240V 50/60Hz INPUT: MAX 210WOUTPUT: 48Vdc MAX 190W

Last edited:
So I am right in thinking the Dimmer switches listed above should all be suitable?

Given they go down to 0 Watts, I don't see any way for them to be sending too much wattage through the circuit.

LED Load Regulators - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Wiring_Accessories_Menu_Index/Wiring_Accessories~Dimmers_All/Load_Regulators/index.html#Load_Regulators_Resload

If having changed the mode of the dimmer and/or the minimum dimness level you find you still have flickering and noise then I recommend you buy a Danlers Load regulator(DLR) and connect it across the Line and Neutral feed into the lamp rose. (see also # below).Be careful to locate the DLR in the void above the rose so that it has free air around it and is not touching any wires as it does get warm and needs to dissipate this heat.

If the two light fittings are controlled by the same dimmer then you only need one DLR placed at one of the roses. If the light fittings each have a dimmer then you will need a DLR at each rose.

# If you find the procedure to change the mode and minimum dimness too much of a faff just buy a DLR and fit as I have described above. I think you are suffering from premature turn off of the electronic switch inside the dimmers (a triac or thyristor) because the LEDs draw decreasing current
as the sine wave of the mains voltage approaches the zero crossover point. These triacs/thyristors need a minimum current to keep conducting after being triggered to do so by the dimmer electronics. Adding a 'dumb' power resistor ensures the triacs/thyristor stay conducting to a lower mains voltage so the brief turn off of the LED around crossover is not noticed.

Last edited:

Reply to Dimmable Light Issues in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock