Discuss Diy portable power supply in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Im a joiner and as one i need powerful tools, i had a crazy idea to use my li ion batteries in series to run 240v universal motors i have tried 2 18v batteries in series so far and it works but i want to make something that is safe, im thinking running an earth cable into a plug and just using the earth of the house any ideas? Suggestions?

Please bear in mind that switches in mains tools are generally only rated for AC and may arc over with DC.

If you intend on using the earth of the house your working in why not use the live and neutral aswell and plug in an extension lead or am I well off track???

Im thinking running an earth cable into a plug and just using the earth of the house any ideas? Suggestions?
Why not just run an extension lead to the house for your power tools?......or buy a genny.

On the basis its the landlord who "controls" the power, then just stipulate you need power "on" to do the work ...............
Then its time lost waiting for power as landlord has to ask for new key/card debt to be wiped and im pretty sure they only wipe it for new tenants anyway not for landlords between tenants

what you need to bear in mind with an inverter is that for every amp you draw @ 240V, you're pulling 20A from the battery.

On the basis its the landlord who "controls" the power, then just stipulate you need power "on" to do the work ...............
I have given an Agree Murdoch, seems in this case though, the Land Lord is a tight ---, and doesn't want any tradesperson using electric at his cost, typical, but good advice mate. Mind you how has the Land Lord "controlled" the power? just switched it off or had it disssedby the DNO.

with tenants it's usually a case of the pre-paid meter having run out of credit or being in debt. ( when it's not been bypassed, of course ).

Then its time lost waiting for power as landlord has to ask for new key/card debt to be wiped and im pretty sure they only wipe it for new tenants anyway not for landlords between tenants
As long as the landlord is happy to pay the bill they will reset it for them. But as above he probably doesn't want to pay it.
Agree with the inverter, by the time you lug 13 lithium batteries costing 40 quid each you may as well bring a decent lead acid battery costing 60 quid a proper inverter.

As long as the landlord is happy to pay the bill they will reset it for them. But as above he probably doesn't want to pay it.
Agree with the inverter, by the time you lug 13 lithium batteries costing 40 quid each you may as well bring a decent lead acid battery costing 60 quid a proper inverter.
Thank you thats all i wanted some advice instead of condescending comments that explain nothing

a 100AH leisure battery and a sack truck to carry it round on.

Hi there, I think you are creating a rod for your own back here, there is more to this then stepping up the voltage to 230v and changing from DC to AC to run power tools, I would look into getting a battery powered joiners power tool kit with spare batteries to boot.
The moment you start upping voltages of batteries you have a dilemma of safety , earthing arrangments etc, also 230v power tools with motors will generate inrushes of up to 10 times full load currents and you need to carefully consider whether the batteries can handle this, the moment you start pushing past 50v you are starting to get into voltage levels that are dangerous and any equipment + batteries you would require to do this would be far heavier than a generator set.
This is why Generators are still used on site with no power still as its the most practical method even if its just charging up your batteries on your power tools.

I can't help thinking that just buying cordless power tools is the best way in the long term. There are very few power tools now that aren't available battery powered. I haven't used a mains powered tool on site for ages, apart from the vacuum cleaner, and you can get quite powerful battery ones of those now.

If its just to charge battery tools, some cheap inverters come with smoke lighter plug on the end of them, just try to steer clear of the square waveform type at the very least get a modified sine wave type

Reply to Diy portable power supply in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net