Discuss Do you test the continuity of an installations main incoming earth in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
This may seem like a stupid question but when testing for continuity using the long lead method I know you test the water and gas bonds etc but do you test the incoming earthing cable. I ask this because reading guidance note 3 it talks about the earthing conductor to be tested and I am slightly confused as I was never shown a test on the main incoming earth at college and have yet to see an electrician perform this. If so what is the process

Really hope i can get an answer and cheers for anyone who responds

I have on the odd occasion tested continuity between the incoming cable sheath of a TN-S supply, and the MET - and found it was surprisingly high - due to a loose and corroded clamp that I wasn't prepared to tighten myself.

It’s the first test you do after completing safe isolation.

Remove the earth cable from the MET and test for continuity between the end of it and where it terminates on the earth bar in the CU. Once verified, replace cable into MET, then proceed to test bonding of water, gas, any supplementary bonding etc...

It’s also verified when testing Ze, but that’s a live test and you’d want to verify continuity of protective conductors prior to that while dead testing an installation.

Reply to Do you test the continuity of an installations main incoming earth in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, I'm a little confused confused is someone can shine some light on the amendment 2 way of doing IR. I know you have to do one 1st fix at 500V...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm nearly on my AM2 test and really enjoy the industrial side of things so I thought I'd learn by asking. I recently came across...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am currently learning and have come across PAT testing an old chandelier. On modern lamps I would use the plug and probe on the...
Replies
Views
Please can someone explain if this is a TNCS or a TNS earthing arrangement because it looks like both to me. Old undersized main bonding conductor...
Replies
Views
Hi, I would love some help understanding an issue I’m having on a 16mm SWA cable running from the CU in my house to the CU in the shed. I believe...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock