Discuss Does Anyone Recommend Solar Panel Cleaning When Installing? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Solar Steve

I've just finished uploading my first solar panel cleaning video to YouTube! It is only 1m 25s.

If you're interested, check it out and subscribe to our channel for new vids when they come online! We will not upload all of our jobs, so you won't be inundated. We will only do those of interest. Don't forget to 'like' it if you like it!!!

Thanks guys!
smiley.gif

Solar Panel Cleaning in Bath, Somerset, UK - YouTube

Welcome to the forum Steve.

I've merged your two threads into one because they're closely related.

I'm yet to find a system that actually needs cleaning, other than maybe our own system as that's on a porch roof with wood pigeons nest above it each year, but even that seems to self clean to a pretty good extent.

I'm checking out a relatively low slope angle commercial install from 2011 next week, so will see how that's looking.

My First YouTube Video!!!

I've just finished uploading my first solar panel cleaning video to YouTube! It is only 1m 25s.

If you're interested, check it out and subscribe to our channel for new vids when they come online! We will not upload all of our jobs, so you won't be inundated. We will only do those of interest. Don't forget to 'like' it if you like it!!!

Thanks guys!
smiley.gif

Solar Panel Cleaning in Bath, Somerset, UK - YouTube

Re: My First YouTube Video!!!

Hi Steve , how did you get around your risk assessment for working at height on a fibre cement roof with what appears to be absolutely no form of fall restraint present ?
I do not want to sound like the HSE police but , that video looks like you have left your self open to trouble if seen by one of the gestapo !:49:

I'm yet to find a system that actually needs cleaning, other than maybe our own system as that's on a porch roof with wood pigeons nest above it each year, but even that seems to self clean to a pretty good extent.

I'm checking out a relatively low slope angle commercial install from 2011 next week, so will see how that's looking.
Hi Gavin. People often think they don't need cleaning, but then get them cleaned and kick themselves over how much they were losing and go on to get them cleaned regularly.

Let me know what the results are with that install. It will be interesting. Most commercial installs with a low angle are losing between 15%-20% generation after 2-3 years if they have not been cleaned at all. It's dependent on the atmospherics, but one low angle commercial install was losing a lot more than that, around 40%. We now clean it twice a year. Solar Panel Cleaners | Clean Solar Solutions Ltd | Solar Panel Cleaning For Hampshire Cosmetics & Anesco

I believe that there may well be a need to clean panels in most situations, however I do have a concern about your vid.
You are walking around on a fibre cement roof, no scaffold, no harness and I would hazard a guess that you have not netted the roof either.This is not a winge telling you that you are breaking H&S rules, as I said a concern, I have been through a fibre cement roof, you get no warning, just bang then you hit the deck, I was lucky.... I am typing this but then it was not as high as a barn...

Maybe you should think about your safety or at the very least post a vid wearing a harness.....

Most commercial installs with a low angle are losing between 15%-20% generation after 2-3 years if they have not been cleaned at all. It's dependent on the atmospherics, but one low angle commercial install was losing a lot more than that, around 40%.

Hmm, I'm not sure about that. None of the commercial installs we have carried out have had any of their panels cleaned to my knowledge. And all of them are producing figures consistent with that from the first year's production.

The 40% loss install must have had a pack of vultures nesting on it.

I believe that there may well be a need to clean panels in most situations, however I do have a concern about your vid.
You are walking around on a fibre cement roof, no scaffold, no harness and I would hazard a guess that you have not netted the roof either.This is not a winge telling you that you are breaking H&S rules, as I said a concern, I have been through a fibre cement roof, you get no warning, just bang then you hit the deck, I was lucky.... I am typing this but then it was not as high as a barn...

Maybe you should think about your safety or at the very least post a vid wearing a harness.....
Hi Earthstore. Thank you for you concern. It is understandable, but there is a safety netting installed on that site. Glad you survived your drop! H&S is of paramount importance these days, especially in the field in which we operate. If the RAMS was not up to spec, we would not have got the job. I have worked on roofs for 18 years and in my early days I fell off one, so I know how hard that floor can be. :)

Hmm, I'm not sure about that. None of the commercial installs we have carried out have had any of their panels cleaned to my knowledge. And all of them are producing figures consistent with that from the first year's production.

The 40% loss install must have had a pack of vultures nesting on it.
Nearly. The install is on a cosmetics factory. Check out the link and you can see the pics for yourself. I'm sure you'll see why there was a 40% drop. Solar Panel Cleaners | Clean Solar Solutions Ltd | Solar Panel Cleaning For Hampshire Cosmetics & Anesco

Hi Steve , I have already posted in your other thread that you have going at the moment " My first youtube video " , and as this thread is near on identical I may as well post here instead .
Bearing in mind I would be interested in your reply to my question on the other thread , I would also be interested in your services for some of our Buckinghamshire clients ?
Although we have all the kit to do what you do ( even a tracked 14m cherry picker ) , I can not justify the cost of the labour and machinery movement for cleaning the arrays that need it ( mainly on grain dryers and dairy cattle buildings in which a TMR is fed ) .
This is mainly due to the only staff we have with a sufficient tow licence and picker tickets are qualified sparks , and warrant too higher wage to be economical !

Please feel free to pm me if you are interested !?
Also just out of coincidence , in the first picture of the Lincolnshire farm case study , on your website it missed also catching my house in the shot by no more than a 100m or so across the field in the back ground !!!:seeya:

Last edited:
Hi Steve , I have already posted in your other thread that you have going at the moment " My first youtube video " , and as this thread is near on identical I may as well post here instead .
Bearing in mind I would be interested in your reply to my question on the other thread , I would also be interested in your services for some of our Buckinghamshire clients ?
Although we have all the kit to do what you do ( even a tracked 14m cherry picker ) , I can not justify the cost of the labour and machinery movement for cleaning the arrays that need it ( mainly on grain dryers and dairy cattle buildings in which a TMR is fed ) .
This is mainly due to the only staff we have with a sufficient tow licence and picker tickets are qualified sparks , and warrant to higher wage to be economical !

Please feel free to pm me if you are interested !?
Also just out of coincidence , in the first picture of the Lincolnshire farm case study , on your website it missed also catching my house in the shot by no more than a 100m or so across the field in the back ground !!!:seeya:
Ha ha! I will try to include your house next time we are there later in the year!

Yes, I'm very interested in doing the Buckinghamshire clients. We can do it for sensible money too because our whole business is solar panel cleaning, it's not an add-on to something else.

I've hunted around, but can't find out how to PM. If you drop me an email through our website, I can come back to you away from the forum and discuss prices etc.

I look forward to hearing from you. :biggrin::biggrin:

Re: My First YouTube Video!!!

Hi JD6400. We don't 'get around' working at height, we incorporate it into each RAMS we do on jobs. Rest assured, this site was safe to work on and safety measures were in place. 8 out of 10 jobs we do are at height. If our RAMS does not satisfy the criterion of the client, we don't get the job. Simples!:smiley2:

Second similar thread merged. Please just stick to a single thread for a single topic of discussion Steve otherwise it causes confusion and splits replies across more than one thread.

Ha ha! I will try to include your house next time we are there later in the year!

Yes, I'm very interested in doing the Buckinghamshire clients. We can do it for sensible money too because our whole business is solar panel cleaning, it's not an add-on to something else.

I've hunted around, but can't find out how to PM. If you drop me an email through our website, I can come back to you away from the forum and discuss prices etc.

I look forward to hearing from you. :biggrin::biggrin:

Pm sent , let me know if you have not received it ?

Many thanks
Dave

hmm, well I've just checked the performance of a 30kWp system we installed in the summer of 2012, and it was at 4% above our estimate last year, or almost exactly bang on once we factor in the above average sunlight levels... and our predictions are highly accurate, not SAP based.

Put me down in the unconvinced category - I suspect your before and after figures are at least in part based on the panels being cooler after washing, resulting in a temporary increase in generation due to the reduced panel temperature.

Though in extremely dirty environments / places with a lot of bird muck etc I'm sure it would be more worthwhile, I wouldn't think you can generalise from the systems you do see to those you don't - ie by definition you're mostly going to get called out to systems that are dirtier than average.

A commendable business idea,and i wish you every success in your new venture. A more pressing issue is who could address the massive problem of the poorly fitted systems up and down the country. I have seen,and continue to see roof mounted panels which are barely better than vandalism,gutters full of broken tiles and damp in the loft. Two years ago,in the December if i recall,a crew of "craftsmen" fitted a large system opposite me folks,10 pm,torches,blow lamps and silicone...still,in time for the higher tariff...If there was anyone left with money,i would seriously consider these refit jobs as a business idea,as it encompasses three of my favourite pastimes,elecricery,property and mewps...but,as previously mentioned,the well is dry :dunce2:

Reply to Does Anyone Recommend Solar Panel Cleaning When Installing? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net