Discuss Does this comply - Zone 1 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/vpnieno3z1xuxna/AAA_qOcvnyVCb-ZRiBAtQFb1a
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/naxnji157w6chkt/AAABxHKzpVMWPUElrt-d6fQga

Does this comply with BS7671?
They are posisioned within 700mm of a shower within a wetroom. Within zone 1 - no permanent fixed partition! with no basin!

I note that these are electronic switching with the 230v supply into the rear of the switch!

I note regulation 701.512.3: In Zone 1: only switches of SELV circuits supplied at a nominal voltage not exceeding 12a.c. rms or 30v ripple free d.c. shell be installed, the safety source being outside zones 0, 1, 2

Probably not compliant then, though reasonably safe as it would require a concerted effort to spray water on them.
I assume you have taken the distance of the barrier into account as well for the 700mm measurement.
Was it converted to a wet room from a shower?

Yes it was a shower room - the distance from the shower screen (movable) is 300mm
Distance from water outlet to screen is 400mm

This work was done by a plumber
He also installed an electric U/F heating Mat - No iso and the below pic - found in the attic
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/m7j7ju3ehy1qmae/AAAxpLXCSSfNRa_J8NU4yyQ7a

also this in a cupboard next to the oven
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/vq3whaup495xwb2/AADWPDnnMp3YZpGswPyrgptUa
He charged £175 to change the oven and this lovely job!
For the bathroom he charged well over £2,000.00

Last edited:
The distance could then be compliant as you have to take into account any barriers (assuming they are up to 2.25m)
Distance past barrier.jpg
The rest of the pictures are abysmal, it seems he is short on earth sleeving and junction boxes!!

The distance could then be compliant as you have to take into account any barriers (assuming they are up to 2.25m)
View attachment 29027
The rest of the pictures are abysmal, it seems he is short on earth sleeving and junction boxes!!

No the barrier is not upto 2.25m - it is only about 1.8m
Also the bottom of the barrier starts at about 1m off the floor.
This barrier can swing from side to side - I thought this rule only applies to fixed barriers not non-fixed

Overall the work is not good quality.
I think the barrier is a fixed permanent partition it cannot be removed and would provide a barrier wherever it was unless it can fold back into the shower cubicle.
However the height means it is not relevant.
Poor work high cost.

Sorry to reopen this, need a hand with a quick question I cant answer
Same property - the Electric underfloor heating has only been installed in zone 1 (in the shower area of the wetroom)
Does this comply?

I have checked the regs but cant find anything suggesting either way.

Any help is greatly accepted.

Before anyone asks I dont have any spec on the E-UFH, all I know is the control (seen in post 1) switches 230v A.C. to the mat and has a thermostat buried (in the floor - I can only guess!) The cables are already buried in the wall after a plumber attempted and hashed it up!

This E-UFH is layed upto 2 inches from the drain

Last edited:
As far as the actual under floor matt goes, its under the floor therefore I would not class it as in a zone rather in a location containing a bath or shower - however it should be RCD protected and have an earthed grid/sheath.

Just being nosey

Are you doing a EICR or is it something else ?

I know you say a plumber did it, any documentation notification etc or am I being stupid as well as nosey !

Yes I did an EICR - seen the invoice from the plumber, all sorted with customer being refunded by the plumber for the bad workmanship and I am in the process of correcting it.

I am just not 100% about E-UFH as I have not done anything with it before so thought Iam better asking on here first

Reply to Does this comply - Zone 1 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net