Discuss domestic kitchen - customer wants a floorsocket in worktop .... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

BELEC

good day got 5 minutes of work so need a question answered.

new extension onto existing kitchen. kitchen island coming of far wall. the customer has bought a standard chrome floor socket and wants it mounting onto worksurfce - flush.

im aware of the pop up ones i use in offices but my cocern woould be for spillage using this. im tryin to pursuade them otherwise as not sure if it complies with Regs...

it will be on a rcd and was going to fuse spur it of the ring so it could be isolated / removed under fault condition.

ps. i informed the customer im not a old school kitchen fitter and im tryin to restore some pride back into our tade so will enquire 1st :)

cheers boffin's . baz@ BELEC

I would say even with shutters, and unless you sealed it completely, this would still give rise for problems.

Would they consider a proper floor socket with a a flap that can be fitted into a floor box?

I would say even with shutters, and unless you sealed it completely, this would still give rise for problems.

Would they consider a proper floor socket with a a flap that can be fitted into a floor box?

Like these Malcolm ?
Double or twin floor socket satin chrome / stainless steel - Cheshire Electrical Decor secure online shop

Even with lids,the items will be dodgy when in use
I think he will have to persuade her,either pop ups or angled surface mounted

AGREE ^^^^^^^ Just a bad idea! Best will in the world, when it goes wrong it will be your fault Baz..... or at least it will suddenly become your fault!

I would say that it does comply with the regs, but I agree that there are major worries with installing such an item in this location and it may not comply with the manufacturers instructions.
You would need to ensure that the box could not get filled with water/conductive liquid and this would be very difficult, especially if it is in use.
Possibly the requirement that an accessory must be suitable for the location and external influences may prevent safe installation.

your customer is obviously clueless to the danger, if this was me i would refuse to do the job as if and when someone gets a shock its your neck on the line ( 6 months for corporate manslaughter ).
its an office type socket, not intended for kitchen use. i suggest you ask your client to use one of these:Pop Up Socket - 3 x 240V Sockets - Aluminium and Black Finish

its still a bit dodgy but at least its designed for the job, looks great and practical.

and dont forget to locate it at least 1meter away from source's of water ie sink etc.

Open-Type-Floor-Socket-JLT-120K-.jpg

I was thinking more on the lines of this type Des that have a beveled edge that can be sealed and raise the Unit off the surface

Note:These type may not be available to BS 1363 standards so forget that

Last edited:
That is much better than the socket I looked at Malc

I thought it was only my Mrs who can come up with stupid ideas and stick to her guns no matter what
Its "my kitchen" she would tell me and the dispute would end there and then,guess who would win
icon11.png

This is one of the "areas" where the regs need to be black and white - not horizontally mounted sockets on kitchen work surfaces.

Common sense suggests this!

To be honest and I’m just going on aesthetics their all going to look a pigs ear. Just the sort of idea my ex would come up with. Any argument on safety and practicality would go straight out the window.

Best of luck kid, you’ll need it if you come between a woman and her kichen!

The only type of socket outlet i would install on a worktop in a kitchen is something like the MK ''Masterseal'' outlet, with the flush mounting bevel. At least you will then have an outlet that is IP66. But these silly daft women (and some men too) that are only interested in what it looks like, rather than their own and families safety would alas, never be convinced!! lol!!,

http://www.mkelectric.com/en-gb/Pro...sterseal/Flushmountingbezels/Pages/56503.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
Shes obvously seen those block mounted ones like they have in Ikea BnQ ect even my MRS said "WHY the hell would anyone want a socket on their work top Surely water oil splashes ect would get in it but more importantly According to my MRS it would create a breeding place for them wee germans "
Iv seen the v block styl;e mounted tight under top row pof cupboards that brought its own hazards flexes dangling down toaster shoved back under it ect ect ect even the "popup" ones look ok till you mention KITCHEN

IMO 512.2.1 would cover this and make it a NO:

"Equipment shall be of a design appropriate to the situation in which it is to be used or its mode of installation shall take account of the conditions likely to be encountered".

By fact that her favoured sockets are almost certainly not IP rated and a spillage is highly likely. So the kit is not "of a design appropriate".

Now to the real world, fit the socket then when you're settling up "accidentally" knock your coffee over the socket and say "Told you so!".

I wonder if the next reg 512.2.2 would cover you.....it says:

"If the equipment does not by its construction have the characteristics relevant to the external influences of its location, it may nevertheless be used on condition that it is provided with additional protection in the erection of the installation. such protection shall not adversely affect the operation of the equipment thus protected "

Fit that one double on it's own RCBO and label it "SBS" - tell her it stands for "Special Breaker Socket" (or Silly Bitch Socket).

Good luck!

Reply to domestic kitchen - customer wants a floorsocket in worktop .... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net