Discuss Eicr requested after consumer unit replacement in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

As stated quite a few times above, you issue an EIC for a board change.

The new letting rules ask for an EICR (every 5 years), which is pretty much the same testing as for a board change, plus some additional inspection.

In this situation (and I'm doing 1 or 2 per week right now) - with the landlord or letting agent agreement - I issue the EIC for the board change, plus an EICR for the new rules - reflecting the installation post board-change. And I add an amount to the invoice to cover the additional work and admin, but it is far more cost effective for them compared to having them done separately.

no, board been changed just now, at the same time as 5 years eicr is due

Well in that case your EIC is for the board not the whole installation. I can see your point that you've tested the circuits but it doesn't certify that you have inspected and tested the rest of the installation. It doesn't mean you shouldn't charge for the EICR.

there is a lot of confusion. with the letting agent i do a lot of work for we have worked out which need eicrs due to not having a valid one, if there is one in place then at a change of tenancy with no changes or alterations etc they will get me to do a visual check. their insurance company have approved this as has the council hmo office

If it was a new build then an EIC would hopefully validate the safety of the installation however, an EIC for a consumer unit change does not encompass the same scope as it is only applicable to the works carried out. If an EICR is due then it should be carried out.

I would undertake the extra work (to obtain any readings not taken during EIC process) issue a cert as required and bill accordingly.

A CU change is just that, it doesn't always do the same in-depth testing as an EICR.

This is a cut and paste from the gov.uk guidance on the 2020 Private Rented Sector regulations:

From the Gov.uk website: "What about new build properties or new electrical installations? If a property is newly built or has been completely rewired, it should have an Electrical Installation Certificate known as an EIC. Landlords can provide a copy of the EIC to tenants and, if requested, the local authority. The landlord will then not be required to carry out further checks or provide a report for 5 years after the EIC has been issued, as long as they have complied with their duty or duties under the Regulations."
An EIC would only take the place of an EICR for either a new installation or a complete rewire.
So if this tenancy is being renewed, there will need to be an EICR covering the whole of the installation, not just the consumer unit change.
And of course the EIC as well.

Shouldn't think so bite the bullet and do an EICR, you said you did the testing should be quite simple, if you know what you are doing.
Seems to have been a misunderstanding of what I was trying to say, yes of course you are all right that an EIC is required for aboard change, i don't dipute that common knowledge really.
The OP was asked to change the CU, I mentioned that it is advisable to do an EICR prior to the CU SWAP, nit a regulation as rightly answered.
What I was trying to say unsuccessfully as it turned out was that the OP on completing the EIC has done testing of the installation (which us required) and issued an EIC, would it be that difficult to return and issue an EICR? the questioin I neglected to ask was why the CU swap was asked for in the first place, had there been an EICR done prior to the swap. was there any miscommunication between the OP and the letting agent.
Not making excuses for my earlier response, just trying to put my point over a little better, to all those who gave a disagree, I respect your points hope this explains my point a bit clearer.
As the OP was initially asked to swap the CU he has correctly issued an EIC for the board change.
You may ask why the letting agent neglected to order an EICR in the first instance? left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing, why was the board change ordered. a knee jerk reaction on their part? go figure.

Last edited:
Recommends, but its not necessary or required by regs. EIC is correct certificate.
I did say "Advised" never said it was / is required by the Regulations.
[automerge]1597397597[/automerge]
Shouldn't think so bite the bullet and do an EICR, you said you did the testing should be quite simple, if you know what you are doing.
To Matthewd29 you have obviously not bothered to read my explanation posted earlier today, jumping the gun a bit there mate,

Reply to Eicr requested after consumer unit replacement in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net