Discuss Electric Consumer Unit allowed in Boiler cupboard? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Getthewheelsinl

Hello,

I have just moved into a new house, which will require a full rewire.

I am looking at relocating the main electrical consumer unit into the boiler room which houses the gas combi boiler.

Can anyone advise any regulations that would resrict this?

Thanks,

Callum

It's fine to be in the same room. Try to keep consumer unit a minimum of 300mm from boiler not a requirement just good practice but other than that its fine

I would say it could well be a requirement, reg 528.3.4 refers to the gas regs BS 6891. Minimum separation is also mentioned in the OSG. 150mm from the consumer unit or the use of suitable barrier if I'm not mistaken.

i'll agree once i've converted those 300 mmmmms to english measurements. about a foot, i think, without getting my slide rule out.

Suitable barrier from a boiler? Are you sure your not referring to to the incoming gas supply. I take 300mm as good practice

I certainly wouldn't disagree that 300mm is good practice I'm just pointing out that there are regs stating 150mm (6 inches) separation of the consumer unit from gas installations as a minimum.

from 8.16.2 of BS 6891
where installation pipes are not separated by electrical insulating material they shall be spaced as follows
a) at least 150mm from electricity meters and associated excess current controls ,electrical switches or sockets, distribution boards or consumer units.

I certainly wouldn't disagree that 300mm is good practice I'm just pointing out that there are regs stating 150mm (6 inches) separation of the consumer unit from gas installations as a minimum.

from 8.16.2 of BS 6891
where installation pipes are not separated by electrical insulating material they shall be spaced as follows
a) at least 150mm from electricity meters and associated excess current controls ,electrical switches or sockets, distribution boards or consumer units.

Thanks guys - so if I keep the CU atleast 150mm from both pipework & boiler then I should be ok.

Do I need to have an electrical insulating material mounted on the wall ready for the electrician to mount the CU onto? Or is this not a requirement?

Before you plan too far ahead, where are you moving the consumer unit from? Two sets of cables go to the consumer unit, the circuits in the property and the incoming supply. As you're going for a rewire then rerouting the house circuits is not a problem, but rerouting or extending the incomer might be an issue - more to the point the supplier will charge you both arms and both legs to move it, so find out costs ahead of time.

PJ

Before you plan too far ahead, where are you moving the consumer unit from? Two sets of cables go to the consumer unit, the circuits in the property and the incoming supply. As you're going for a rewire then rerouting the house circuits is not a problem, but rerouting or extending the incomer might be an issue - more to the point the supplier will charge you both arms and both legs to move it, so find out costs ahead of time.

PJ

The main incomer is brought in at high level to the chimney breast, down breast to front hall electrical cabinet.

The new position ideally would be relocated to the boiler cupboard nearer the middle of the property.

I have still to request cost from supplier to reroute incomer. At the same time, I will ask for cost to have this put under ground then to run up the pole. If I dig the excavation, I would like to think this would reduce my costs somewhat. As I am have a new gas pipe fitted in earlier February & I had £1k dropped off the price for me digging the excavation.

Thanks for your help.

but do you need to move the incoming service, or just fit longer tails from the meter to the new CU position?

Reply to Electric Consumer Unit allowed in Boiler cupboard? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net