Discuss electromagnetic effects in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

Robegginton

Electromagnetic effects upon cables both single and three phase cables upon entering a metal distribution board. this was picked up on a periodic test and inspection on a small block of flats. This has caught me out and i cant think of what causes this or the implications, any ideas ????

Are you asking how it works or what you are looking how for to identify possible issue?

Keep all the lines together with the neutrals going through the same metallic enclosure.
ie.. Don't take lines through one metal coupler neutrals through another and earths through another.

How to identify the problem and what to look for, that should enable me to sort it. and then for future ref refresh my memory on eddy currents. cheers

As the others have said, you need all your supply cables going through the same aperture, and if that is not possible then a workaround is to cut a slot between all the holes and make sure you use brass glands, nut's and banjo's if fitted.

Another possibility is to use a suitable plastic gland plate, the brass fittings above also apply here.

If the gland plate that the singles pass through is steel (IE magnetic) you will get eddy currents. The eddy current will equal the current in the conductor.

There’s two ways around this:
Make the gland plate out of aluminium.
Cut a slot between the gland holes to break the circuit.

A word of warning, don’t use steel lock nuts for the glands.

This plate was for a 1MVA transformer. I usually fill the slots with epoxy resin to keep creepy crawlies out.

View attachment 13602

There’s two ways around this:
Make the gland plate out of aluminium.
Cut a slot between the gland holes to break the circuit.

Even aluminum.plates can allow circulating currents over a certain level/magnitude. I always use brass sealing glands in 10mm Paxoline (for want of a better name) board for multi entry single cables into Switchboards/TX's and the like. The slotting of standard steel gland plates is as good a method as any, for stopping circulating currents forming, but the finished installation can look a real pigs ear, if care isn't taken on sealing the slotted sections...

Reply to electromagnetic effects in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock