Discuss First 50kW ground mount - help in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just looking at 50kW (200 panels) ground mount system. Got all the quotes in for the kit (Shuco and Schletter), got provision for planning permission & DNO application is covered (including relay if required).

Any advice on whether I need to have a ground survey carried out and if so, can you recommend anyone? I am worried about hitting a mains pipe.

Would you recommend bore drilling the holes for the posts first and then concreting them in or just piling them in? How long would you plan in just for erecting the mounting?

Array is less than 20m from the mains supply, so I have no concerns about losses.

Any advice welcome as I really don't want to miss anything on this one!

Can't use consoles as the client is concerned with flooding, so wants a frame with 1m clearance from the ground to the lowest part of the panel. all cables will be contained above 1m, and there is very little risk that water will rise above 1m.

Could you not work alongside a manufacturer of ground mounting kit? Have come out to assess the grounds suitability. I'm sure Shuco would have somone to do this

Could you not work alongside a manufacturer of ground mounting kit? Have come out to assess the grounds suitability. I'm sure Shuco would have somone to do this

Last time i asked schueco how deep we should go they replied 'as deep as necessary' they offer no advice other than to get advice from the appropriate person.

A good local groundworker that knows the terrain is a good place to start in my experience but some manufacturers won't warranty their frame unless a pile integrity test has been carried out.

Renusol UK manager is very helpful, they come out and survey and custom design to the contour of the land if needed. I've never done anything that big, but as a common sense approach I would be a drain search and piling then in would be my preference. I bet you can do your own drain/land search online.

Piling is often the best way to install for utility scale (500kW+) ground mount systems, so may be relatively expensive for smaller systems of 50kW or less, but definitely worth getting a price. Google M&D Foundations who I know have worked on 1MW+ size systems. They can do piling and site surveys, worth giving them a try.

Piling is often the best way to install for utility scale (500kW+) ground mount systems, so may be relatively expensive for smaller systems of 50kW or less, but definitely worth getting a price. Google M&D Foundations who I know have worked on 1MW+ size systems. They can do piling and site surveys, worth giving them a try.

Where abouts are they based Spitfire?

Good question, I'm not entirely sure. Seemed to to know what they were doing when they came to our offices although we haven't installed any of their kit so can't vouch for them but worthwhile considering them.

M&D have satellite offices in quite a few places, I think they have the head office in yorkshire. They work nationwide though.

Hilti can be bought from them direct. A lot of their stuff is compatible with Renusol, but I doubt you'll hear that from them!

For a faster reply - email direct: Contact for Renusol: technical support, Christof.noelke@renusol . Com and the uk sales manager is huw.cooper@renusol . Com, add the.com to make active.

Ive met Huw - nice chap, very helpful & Christof is the same.

Reply to First 50kW ground mount - help in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net