Discuss fixings in asbestos coatings in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

Edd

I wonder if anyone has any ideas where as a company we go with this.
Its now pass the buck time between contractors and no one wants to commit themselves.
we have been told to abide to the HSE guidelines and i totally agree...

Ive copied and pasted a bit of an email Ive received.

Not sure weather the electrician was removing both the base and cover of the ceiling rose, thereby needing to remove screws/fixings from the Artex coated plasterboard, or simply unscrewing the cover of the ceiling rose from its base. The former has more risk the latter very low risk of either disturbance of fibres of exposure to fibres.

Nothing really new although the Control of Asbestos at Work Regulations 2012 have clarified a few of the grey areas in early legislation. So this is I believe our approach:
We ensure that our operatives receive asbestos awareness training and that this is periodically supplemented with tool box talks
We request from clients details of their asbestos registers and relevant sections of their asbestos management plans
The presence of ACMs is highlighted to our operatives on site, or where it is not clear the potential for the presence of ACMs is highlighted
Where ACMs may become friable/damaged we will use PVA based spray to limit the potential for fibre release
We will issue and use suitable PPE

HSE guidance can be found at http://www.hse.gov.uk/asbestos/essentials/index.htm#a4 A27 and A34 probably being the most appropriate.
end of email

So now my Example..
we get sent to a property, lounge light not working. The pendant is broken. Do we just replace the pendant job done, or get the artex tested to see if it contains chrysolitle before replacing the pendant. and if it comes back positive, even though the risk is minimal sheet up the whole room PPE and mask, vacuum on and carefully remove the pendant! where does others stand on this.. have a read of a27..

advice much appreciated
Ed

My understanding of Asbestos after attending many training courses is that it is the responsibility of the property owner, therefore they must fund the expense of removal if needed.

As a contractor, it is your responsibility to not expose yourself and others to Asbestos, so if you are unsure if a material you need to drill/disturb contains asbestos or not, you do not touch it. Only an asbestos lab can 100% confirm asbestos as it can not be seen by the human eye.

What i would do in your case, if you believe the artex contains asbestos, inform the property owner and request they have it tested before you commence work. If it's negative, carry on, if it's positive, walk away until it has been professionally removed. Do not attempt to move it yourself, far to dangerous and you could expose others as the particles remain in the air for hours after disturbance.

Hope this helps.

Just replace the pendant, ...job done!!! Risk from artex coating incorporating minuscule amounts of asbestos fiber is neither here nor there!! Far too much scaremongery goes on about asbestos in the electrical industry!!! Most based on, What if, could be, possibly, and maybe's!!

I've been on 3 or 4 Asbestos Awareness course now, and it's plainly evident that it's the Blue asbestos and the grey stuff that are the real nasty ones, which were mainly (but not limited too) used in the pipe and duct insulation industry and the making of fire proof sheeting and board....

Call me in to do it ima die from asbestos anyway from prior job taking up an asbestos floor with no ppe.. My fault but i was a 1st year apprentice.. How was i supposed to know >.>

Thanks, these two oposite sides of the coin answers are esactly what everyone seems to be saying.

If I was a one man band, then truth be told I would replace the pendant and job done.
But when it comes to employes that ask the question and have read A27 it gets a bit more complicated..
If someone is sent into a property to do a job then as a company we are responsible, and the electrician has the right to say no.. Then the trouble is as a company we are doing 40-50 jobs a day and if we cant do one job till its been tested the whole thing falls apart.

I think the asbestos boat sailed years ago and the moneys drying up. so now they introduce these rules to make more money.

Thanks, these two oposite sides of the coin answers are esactly what everyone seems to be saying.

If I was a one man band, then truth be told I would replace the pendant and job done.
But when it comes to employes that ask the question and have read A27 it gets a bit more complicated..
If someone is sent into a property to do a job then as a company we are responsible, and the electrician has the right to say no.. Then the trouble is as a company we are doing 40-50 jobs a day and if we cant do one job till its been tested the whole thing falls apart.

I think the asbestos boat sailed years ago and the moneys drying up. so now they introduce these rules to make more money.

There's a lot of truth in that statement Edd, more than most would realise!!

To get it tested would be the right thing to do.. But can you honesty see the home owner paying for an asbestos test? They moan enough at the cost we charge now, let alone having tested and removed. They'll just get roger from down the pub to do it... You'll lose so much work.

Reply to fixings in asbestos coatings in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net