Discuss Flexy singles to iec60502 (6381y) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Anybody know much about said cable? Was recommended to me a few days ago as an alternative for larger tails on 3 phase supplies. Apparently due to the construction of the cable it dissipates the heat a lot better giving it a higher CCC value meaning smaller overall Csa. Does anyone have experience of using it or see any issues with using it? I've only ever generally used solids for tails.

Just a thought :D

Specs attached...6381Y flexible PVC cable | DC power cable

Just don't be using it to connect directly to anything belonging to the DNO as they won't permit it in their cut outs or meters. It also requires lugs with a flanged hole but other than that it's great.

Apparently due to the construction of the cable it dissipates the heat a lot better giving it a higher CCC value meaning smaller overall Csa

Not hugely convinced by that. Fine stranded cables have larger O/D hence more surface area to dissipate heat than solid, but not by that much. Sheathed cables have larger area still, but only by the same ratio. Insulation working temp affects CCC but this isn't higher than the equivalent stranded cable, as it is with 105°C Tri-rated etc. Check the specs carefully!

Not hugely convinced by that. Fine stranded cables have larger O/D hence more surface area to dissipate heat than solid, but not by that much. Sheathed cables have larger area still, but only by the same ratio. Insulation working temp affects CCC but this isn't higher than the equivalent stranded cable, as it is with 105°C Tri-rated etc. Check the specs carefully!

If you check the link above out under ''Specification'' the current rating is significantly higher than the equivalent standard building conductors....

But why? Same thermal constants apply, same limiting values for ins temp at conductor surface, surely the only difference is the test conditions, in which case it's not a real difference? I'm sure one could find all sorts of different ratings for the same cable, because they have been determined by different methods.

If someone did make a cable that would carry significantly more current under the same conditions for a given amount of copper, you can be sure it would be a global success overnight due to the potential cost savings. VD and Zs implications on longer circuits notwithstanding.

But why? Same thermal constants apply, same limiting values for ins temp at conductor surface, surely the only difference is the test conditions, in which case it's not a real difference? I'm sure one could find all sorts of different ratings for the same cable, because they have been determined by different methods.

If someone did make a cable that would carry significantly more current under the same conditions for a given amount of copper, you can be sure it would be a global success overnight due to the potential cost savings. VD and Zs implications on longer circuits notwithstanding.

May be worth an email to a cable manufacturer's technical department to get the full SP on the why's and wherefores.... But i would think it's down to the increased surface area created by the multi strand conductors. Current tends/prefers to travel on surface areas rather than through the cable unless forced to....

Wow, the current capabilities are very high for the CSA. Maybe check with the manufacturers that their table in the spec sheet doesn't have misprints or incorrect info.

If it’s the stuff I’m thinking of it will need a ferrule of some sort to terminate, otherwise it will just splay in a screw terminal. As has been said, the little man that fits the meter won’t be happy and that’s the last you’ll see of him. This is, I think a case of stick to convention.

I’ve used 95mm[SUP]2[/SUP] supper flexible on cranes it fits in to a 70mm lug.

Lucian, the high CCC could in part be due to “skin effect” on the conductors.

Reply to Flexy singles to iec60502 (6381y) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net